Unitary, invariant subspaces

So to show U(x) is in W^, let y' be in W and show <U(x),y'> = 0.In summary, the problem asks to prove that for a unitary operator U on an inner product space V, U-invariant subspace W is also invariant under the orthogonal complement, represented by W^. The solution shows that U(W) = W and that U(W^) is contained in W^. To prove this, the range and nullity of U (restricted to W) are used, along with the definitions of W^ and U(x) being contained in W^.
redyelloworange

Homework Statement

Let U be a unitary operator on an inner product space V, and let W be a finite-dimensional U-invariant subspace of V. Prove that

(a) U(W) = W
(b) the orthogonal complement of W is U-invariant
(for ease of writing let the orthogonal complement of W be represented by W^.

Homework Equations

Unitary: U*U = UU* = I

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) first show that U(W) is contained in W, and then show that W in contained in U(W).
- U(W) is contained in W because W is U-invariant
- show W is contained in U(W)
choose x in W and show it is contained in U(W)
U(x) is in W
Is this circular thinking?
Should I instead show that the range of U (restricted to W) is W itself? Or that the nullity of U (restricted to W) is 0?

(b)
Note: U restricted to W (let’s call it U_w) is also unitary.

W^ = {x in V : <x, y>=0 for all y in W}

Now show that U(W^) is contained in W^

I’m not sure what to do now.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
redyelloworange said:

Homework Statement

Let U be a unitary operator on an inner product space V, and let W be a finite-dimensional U-invariant subspace of V. Prove that

(a) U(W) = W
(b) the orthogonal complement of W is U-invariant
(for ease of writing let the orthogonal complement of W be represented by W^.

Homework Equations

Unitary: U*U = UU* = I

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) first show that U(W) is contained in W, and then show that W in contained in U(W).
- U(W) is contained in W because W is U-invariant
- show W is contained in U(W)
choose x in W and show it is contained in U(W)
U(x) is in W
Is this circular thinking? Should I instead show that the range of U (restricted to W) is W itself? Or that the nullity of U (restricted to W) is 0?
Do the last one.
(b)
Note: U restricted to W (let’s call it U_w) is also unitary.

W^ = {x in V : <x, y>=0 for all y in W}

Now show that U(W^) is contained in W^

I’m not sure what to do now.

Thanks for your help!
Use the definitions. You want to say that if x is in W^, then so is U(x). Well x is in W^ iff for all y in W, <x,y> = 0, and U(x) is in W^ iff for all y' in W, <U(x),y'> = 0.

Related to Unitary, invariant subspaces

1. What are unitary, invariant subspaces?

Unitary, invariant subspaces are subspaces of a vector space that are closed under the action of a unitary operator. This means that if a vector is in the subspace, the unitary operator will map it back to the subspace.

2. What is the significance of unitary, invariant subspaces?

Unitary, invariant subspaces are important in quantum mechanics, as they represent the conserved symmetries of a system. They also have applications in linear algebra and functional analysis.

3. How are unitary, invariant subspaces related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Unitary, invariant subspaces are closely related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In fact, if a unitary operator has a set of eigenvectors, then the span of these eigenvectors forms a unitary, invariant subspace.

4. Can a unitary, invariant subspace be infinite-dimensional?

Yes, a unitary, invariant subspace can be infinite-dimensional. This is because there can be an infinite number of eigenvectors for a unitary operator, which can span an infinite-dimensional subspace.

5. How are unitary, invariant subspaces related to the concept of symmetry?

Unitary, invariant subspaces are related to symmetry because they represent the transformations that preserve the structure of a system. These transformations can be thought of as symmetries of the system, and the unitary, invariant subspaces represent the conserved quantities under these symmetries.