University of Washington A&A Master's degree

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in a master's degree with a concentration in plasma physics at the University of Washington and their concern about the courses being more engineering-focused than scientific. Another person responds that at the graduate level, there is no clear distinction between physics and engineering and that engineering courses require a deep understanding of fundamental concepts and rigorous explanations. They suggest doing more research to see the opportunities that this may open up.
Experience111
Hi,

I'm interested in this master's degree with a concentration in plasma physics at the University of Washington. However, I realized that the Aeronautics and Aerospace department department is part of the College of Engineering and I don't really want to follow engineering centric courses as I am more interested in academic coursework and research.

Does anyone know what the courses are like in this department at UW ? Are they more engineering courses or 'scientific' courses (by that I mean courses with more fundamental concepts and more rigorous explanations).

Thanks for the replies :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Experience111

Regarding your post:

Experience111 said:
However, I realized that the Aeronautics and Aerospace department department is part of the College of Engineering and I don't really want to follow engineering centric courses as I am more interested in academic coursework and research.

Does anyone know what the courses are like in this department at UW ? Are they more engineering courses or 'scientific' courses (by that I mean courses with more fundamental concepts and more rigorous explanations).

have you ever taken graduate level engineering courses? I can tell you with certainty the line between physics and engineering, at the graduate level, is non-existent. I'm not sure about plasma, but regarding fluids, which is what I studied, all work was incredibly theoretical. A deep understanding of tensor calculus, PDEs, and laws of physics was required. I think if you do more research you'll see that graduate engineering courses have the "fundamental concepts and more rigorous explanations" you crave, which is good news for you because it opens more doors! :)

While I didn't answer your question, hope this helps

Related to University of Washington A&A Master's degree

1. What is the University of Washington A&A Master's degree?

The University of Washington A&A Master's degree is a graduate program offered by the University of Washington's Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics. It is designed to provide students with advanced knowledge and skills in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics.

2. What are the requirements for admission into the University of Washington A&A Master's degree program?

To be considered for admission, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or mathematics. They must also have a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose outlining their research interests and goals.

3. What courses are offered in the University of Washington A&A Master's degree program?

The program offers a wide range of courses covering topics such as stellar astrophysics, cosmology, planetary science, and observational techniques. Students also have the opportunity to conduct research with faculty members on cutting-edge projects.

4. Can students receive funding for the University of Washington A&A Master's degree program?

Yes, the department offers a limited number of teaching and research assistantships to students admitted into the program. These assistantships provide a stipend, tuition waiver, and health insurance.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the University of Washington A&A Master's degree program?

Graduates of the program are well-prepared for careers in academia, research institutions, and government agencies. They may also pursue careers in data analysis, science communication, or technology industries.