Use vectors to form a right triangle on a circle

In summary, the problem asks to use vectors to demonstrate that on a circle, any two diametrically opposed points along with an arbitrary third point on the circle form a right triangle. The key is to show that the vector connecting the third point to one of the diametrically opposed points is orthogonal to the vector connecting the third point to the other diametrically opposed point. By using the equation of the circle and the fact that all points on the circle have the same radius, the dot product of these two vectors can be simplified to show that they are indeed orthogonal, thus forming a right triangle.
ibaforsale

Homework Statement

Use vectors to demonstrate that on a circle any two diametrically opposed points along with an arbitrary third point(on the circle) form a right triangle

Homework Equations

Hint: assume without a loss of generality that the circle is centered at the origin and let v, -v, and w denote the three points in question. show that the vector connecting w to -v is orthogonal to the vector connecting w to v

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i have a grasp on how to achieve this. to show that they are orthogonal the dot product of the two vectors must be 0.

I am confused with the v and -v. In my mind that makes a straight line for example say that v is (1,0) then -v would be (-1,0).

I don't see how those two points along with a third make a right triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
ibaforsale said:

Homework Statement

Use vectors to demonstrate that on a circle any two diametrically opposed points along with an arbitrary third point(on the circle) form a right triangle

Homework Equations

Hint: assume without a loss of generality that the circle is centered at the origin and let v, -v, and w denote the three points in question. show that the vector connecting w to -v is orthogonal to the vector connecting w to v

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i have a grasp on how to achieve this. to show that they are orthogonal the dot product of the two vectors must be 0.

I am confused with the v and -v. In my mind that makes a straight line for example say that v is (1,0) then -v would be (-1,0).

I don't see how those two points along with a third make a right triangle.
That's the object of this exercise. Take any arbitrary point w on the circle, and form displacement vectors between it and v and -v. What are the coordinates of w?

can w be (1,1)?

No. That point is not on the unit circle, which I assume is the one you're working with since you are using the points (1, 0) and (-1, 0). You need the equation of whatever circle you're using so that you can write the coordinates of your third point on the circle.

my apologies, let's make w (0,1). so then I see that if you connect the lines you get a right triangle. so then to show that I must show that wv is orthogonal to w-v.

so for wv it would be v - w = <1,-1>
and w-v would be -v - w = <-1,-1>

then i take the dot product and if its 0 theyre orthogonal meaning they do form a right triangle, is that right?

But the problem says that for any point v and its opposite on the circle, and any third point w that the vectors are perpendicular. You can't just do it for (1,0),(-1,0), and (0,1).

could it just be with general terms?
v = (x1,y1)
-v = (-x1,-y1)
w = (x2,y2)

ibaforsale said:
could it just be with general terms?
v = (x1,y1)
-v = (-x1,-y1)
w = (x2,y2)

Yes. What do you get when you use those. Remember they are on the circle.

So for wv = v-w = (x1-x2, y1-y2)
and for w*-v = -v - w = (-x1-x1, -y1-y2)

after doing the dot product i end up with

-x12+ x22 - y12 + y22

but then that's not 0

ibaforsale said:
So for wv = v-w = (x1-x2, y1-y2)
and for w*-v = -v - w = (-x1-x1, -y1-y2)
It should be (-x1-x2, -y1-y2)
ibaforsale said:
after doing the dot product i end up with

-x12+ x22 - y12 + y22

but then that's not 0
You're not using the fact that all three points are on a circle. What's the equation of your circle?

sorry that was a typo, i copy and paste to make the sub and sup easier

the equation of the circle is x2 + y2 = r2 i believe

OK, so what can you say about the expression you ended up with for the dot product?

well if x1 = 1 and x2 = 1 then that would cancel out and same for y but I am not sure if that would work in the general sense.

No, that won't work. Your point w (x2, y2) is a point on the circle whose equation is x2 + y2 = r2, right? So are v and what you're calling -v.

What characteristic do points on this circle have that all other points don't have?

all the points on the circle will have the same radius

That's true, but irrelevant. The radius of a point is 0.

Let me see if I can make this simpler. Consider the line whose equation is 3x + 2y = 6. Is the point (2, 1) on this line? Why or why not? Is the point (0, 3) on this line? Why or why not?

(2,1) isn't because when you plug it into the equation it doesn't equal 6, (0,3) is because it does equal 6. so then if they are all on the same circle they would be the same when plugged into the equation, is that what youre hinting at?

Yes. Any point on the line has to satisfy the equation, and any solution (a pair of numbers) to the equation represents a point on the line. Same for points on the circle.

With that in mind, what does that say about the value you got for your dot product back in post #9?

im not entirely sure, I am a little thrown off because of the x1 and x2 and y1 and y2

Then maybe you're not able to work this problem...

does it mean that they are on the circle?

You should already know they're on the circle, so each of those points should satisfy that equation. Look at what you have in post #9, and use the fact that the points are on the circle.

is it that the 2 points on the circle cancel each other out?

ibaforsale said:
is it that the 2 points on the circle cancel each other out?

Write an equation so we know what you are trying to say.

LCKurtz said:
Write an equation so we know what you are trying to say.

+1 to that.

Related to Use vectors to form a right triangle on a circle

1. How do you use vectors to form a right triangle on a circle?

To form a right triangle on a circle using vectors, you will need to have two vectors that originate from the center of the circle and intersect at a point on the circle's circumference. The length of these two vectors will form the legs of the right triangle, and the distance between their intersection point and the center of the circle will be the hypotenuse.

2. What is the purpose of forming a right triangle on a circle using vectors?

Forming a right triangle on a circle using vectors can be useful in solving geometric problems, such as finding the length of a chord or the distance between two points on a circle's circumference. It can also be used in physics to represent forces acting on an object moving in a circular path.

3. How do you calculate the length of the legs of a right triangle formed on a circle using vectors?

The length of the legs can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the hypotenuse (distance between the intersection point and the center of the circle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the legs (length of the two vectors).

4. Can any two vectors on a circle form a right triangle?

No, not all pairs of vectors on a circle will form a right triangle. For a right triangle to be formed, the vectors must originate from the center of the circle and intersect at a point on the circle's circumference at a 90-degree angle.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using vectors to form a right triangle on a circle?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. For example, in navigation, the distance between two points on a map can be calculated using vectors on a sphere (which can be approximated as a circle). In engineering, the forces acting on a rotating object can be represented using vectors on a circle.