Using BJT in Practice: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter etf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary: That's because the current gain of a transistor is determined by the voltage gain of the bipolar junction transistor, not by the current gain of the transistor itself.If you want to increase current gain, increase the input current.
etf
Warning: Template missing in homework help request.
Hi!
I studied BJT in theory for some time and now I want to use it in practice. What are limitations of BJT in real life? What should I know in order to properly use it (I mean without damaging it) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an extraordinarily broad question and has no specific answer.

Design a specific circuit using either a PNP or an NPN transistor and THEN worry about finding a transistor that will work properly in that circuit without damage.

Likes etf
One of the most important things is to stabilize the selected operation point (Ic) against tolerances and, in particular, against temperature effects, which can destroy the BJT.
For this purpose, it is absolulety necessary to provide negative DC feedback - in most cases simply with an emitter resistor Re.

Likes etf
Be wary of transients conditions that can occur from your source, your load, or functions of your circuit. Make sure you understand the transients your part can withstand without being destroyed.

Likes etf
My main advice is to design circuits where beta is not an important parameter so long as it's not too small. If you look at analyses of typical bjt-resident integrated circuits this is almost always assumed.

Likes etf
rude man said:
My main advice is to design circuits where beta is not an important parameter so long as it's not too small. If you look at analyses of typical bjt-resident integrated circuits this is almost always assumed.

Yes - the importance of beta is over-estimated in many cases. Perhaps the reason is that beta - unfortunately - is called "current gain". But that is not true - beta is no gain at all because it is not the input current but the input voltage which determines/controls the output current..
As an illustration: The same circuit with two different transistors (beta values 100 and 200, resp) and with the same bias point (for a fair comparison) will have the same voltage gain.

Related to Using BJT in Practice: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is a BJT?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a type of semiconductor device commonly used in electronic circuits. It is made up of three layers of doped material, typically NPN or PNP, and is used as a switch or amplifier in electronic circuits.

2. How do BJTs work?

BJTs work by controlling the flow of current between two of its layers, called the collector and emitter, using a third layer called the base. By applying a voltage to the base, the BJT can be turned on or off, allowing current to flow from the collector to the emitter or blocking it.

3. What are the advantages of using BJTs in electronic circuits?

BJTs have several advantages over other types of transistors, such as MOSFETs. They have a fast switching speed, can handle high power levels, and have a high current gain. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to use in circuit designs.

4. What are some common applications of BJTs?

BJTs are used in a wide range of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, switches, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in digital logic circuits, voltage regulators, and audio amplifiers.

5. What are some important considerations when using BJTs in practical circuits?

When using BJTs in practical circuits, it is important to consider factors such as the maximum voltage and current ratings of the BJT, the required biasing and operating conditions, and the thermal management of the device. It is also important to properly select and match BJTs in multi-transistor circuits to ensure proper performance.