Using labview to control a kent scientific genie plus syringe pump

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to control the syringe pump in a lab, specifically the flow rate, from a computer. The pump can connect to the computer using a rs-232 port and the suggested program to use is labview. The person seeking help has never used labview before and is open to alternative recommendations. They also provide their contact information for further assistance.
tunk
i need to find a way to control the syringe pump in my lab so that i can control the flow rate in real time from the computer, ideally from a simple dial i scale up or down. the pump can connect to the computer using a rs-232 port and someone suggested to me that labview would be the easiest program to do this with. I have never used labview before and have no idea what i am doing. any help would be appreciated or if u know of an easier way to create the program i need by all means recommend it. thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Please email me and I will provide you with a reference that may be of assistance to you.

Thank you,
David Miller
Kent Scientific Corporation
dmiller@kentscientific.com

Using LabVIEW to control a Kent Scientific Genie Plus syringe pump is a great idea! LabVIEW is a powerful and user-friendly programming language that is commonly used in scientific and engineering research labs. It offers a variety of features that make it ideal for controlling instruments and collecting data in real time.

To control the flow rate of the syringe pump from the computer, you can use the RS-232 port to establish communication between the pump and the computer. LabVIEW has built-in functions and tools for serial communication, making it easy to send commands to the pump and receive data back.

As for creating a program in LabVIEW, there are a few steps you can follow. First, familiarize yourself with the LabVIEW environment and its basic functions. Then, you can use the "Instrument I/O Assistant" to easily set up communication with the syringe pump. This tool will generate the necessary code to establish communication and send commands to the pump.

Next, you can use LabVIEW's graphical programming interface to create a simple dial or slider that will allow you to control the flow rate in real time. This can be done by using the "Numeric Control" or "Slide" tools and connecting them to the communication code generated by the Instrument I/O Assistant.

If you are new to LabVIEW and need more guidance, there are plenty of online tutorials and resources available to help you get started. Additionally, the LabVIEW community is very active and supportive, so do not hesitate to reach out for help or advice.

In conclusion, using LabVIEW to control your syringe pump is a great choice that will allow you to easily and effectively control the flow rate in your lab. With a little bit of practice and the help of available resources, you will be able to create the program you need in no time. Good luck!

1. How do I connect my Kent Scientific Genie Plus syringe pump to LabVIEW?

In order to connect your syringe pump to LabVIEW, you will need to have a compatible USB cable and the necessary LabVIEW drivers installed. You can find the drivers on the Kent Scientific website, and once installed, simply connect the pump to your computer via the USB cable.

2. Can I control multiple syringe pumps simultaneously with LabVIEW?

Yes, LabVIEW has the capability to control multiple devices simultaneously. You can use a multi-channel USB hub to connect multiple pumps to your computer, and then use LabVIEW to program and control each pump individually or simultaneously.

3. How do I set up a syringe pump program in LabVIEW?

To set up a program for your syringe pump in LabVIEW, you will need to first open the LabVIEW software and create a new project. Then, you can drag and drop the necessary syringe pump functions from the LabVIEW library to your program. Finally, you can configure the parameters and settings for your program before running it.

4. Can I use LabVIEW to create a schedule for my syringe pump?

Yes, LabVIEW has the capability to create a schedule for your syringe pump. You can use the LabVIEW functions to set specific time intervals, flow rates, and volumes for your pump to follow. This is useful for automating repetitive tasks or experiments.

5. How do I troubleshoot any issues with my syringe pump when using LabVIEW?

If you encounter any issues with your syringe pump when using LabVIEW, you can start by checking the USB connection and making sure the drivers are properly installed. You can also refer to the user manual for troubleshooting tips or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.