V required for electroplating Cu on Fe

In summary, the individual is asking for help with their school project involving electroplating copper on an iron nail using copper sulphate solution. They have discovered that 3 9V batteries will be sufficient for the experiment and are now seeking information on how long the process will take. They plan to consult experts such as Faraday and Nernst and also measure the current during the experiment to determine the rate of deposition. They also mention considering the thickness and visibility of the copper plating.
sach963
For a school project, I need to electroplate copper on an iron nail with copper sulphate solution.
How much voltage electricity will I need for this experiment?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
With the help of other sources, I now know that 3 9V batteries will do.But I would also like to know approximately how much time will be taken.
Can anyone help me?

sach963 said:
Can anyone help me?

Sure thing. I would ask Faraday about his electrolysis laws and Nernst about his equation.

If you start the experiment and measure the current you should be able to work out how many grams are going to be deposited per hour assuming the current stays constant for that time. From the geometry of the nail you should be able to estimate its surface area, and therefrom the thickness per gram. How even it is in practice and how thick it needs to be before you would consider it electroplated - how thick it needs to be to be visible i don't know. I'd guess in a day you'd see something.

If you do it come back and tell us!

Related to V required for electroplating Cu on Fe

1. What is the required voltage for electroplating Cu on Fe?

The required voltage for electroplating Cu on Fe depends on the specific electroplating process being used. Generally, it can range from 1 to 5 volts.

2. Is a specific type of Cu required for electroplating on Fe?

Yes, a specific type of Cu is required for electroplating on Fe. The most commonly used type is copper sulfate.

3. Can the voltage for electroplating Cu on Fe be too high?

Yes, the voltage can be too high for electroplating Cu on Fe. If the voltage is too high, it can cause the formation of an uneven or rough coating.

4. How does the surface preparation of Fe affect the electroplating process?

The surface preparation of Fe is crucial for the success of the electroplating process. It involves cleaning and degreasing the surface to remove any impurities that can hinder the adhesion of the Cu coating.

5. What is the role of a plating bath in the electroplating process?

A plating bath is a solution that contains the Cu ions and other necessary chemicals for the electroplating process. It helps to deposit a smooth and uniform layer of Cu on the Fe surface.