VdP term in definition of constant volume specific heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between specific heat at constant volume (Cv) and enthalpy (H) in thermodynamics. It highlights confusion about the inclusion of the vdP term in the calculation of Cv and the definition of enthalpy. The conversation also questions why the specific heat at constant volume is often simplified to just ∆U/dT, neglecting the vdP term.
rastafik

Homework Statement

I know that for constant volume ∂q=du and so du=Cv.dT
However i don't understand how did we get to ∂q=du by neglecting the vdP term of enthalpy
What I am trying to say is, is enthalpy this ∆U+P∂V+V∂P or this ∆U+P∂V? I don't understand since the definition of enthalpy is derived out of a constant pressure volume change
And why snt specific heat at constant volume Cv=∆U+V∂P/dT instead of Cv=∆U/dT?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I see:
∂Qnet,in=∆U+∂Wnet,out
∂Qnet,in=∆U+P∂V+V∂P

C=∂Qnet,in/dT

For constant pressure:
Cp=∆U+P∂V/dT assuming ∆U+P∂V is enthalpy then ∆H=Cp.∆P

For constant volume:
Cv=∆U+V∂P/dT but all the books say it actually is just ∆U/dT
where did the VdP term go? if we add heat to a fixed volume won't its pressure increase and so VdP would be relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
dW = PdV, not d(PV).

Related to VdP term in definition of constant volume specific heat

1. What is the VdP term in the definition of constant volume specific heat?

The VdP term, also known as the van der Waals pressure term, is a correction factor that accounts for the non-ideality of gases at high pressures. It is included in the definition of constant volume specific heat to accurately calculate the heat capacity of a gas under varying pressure conditions.

2. How does the VdP term affect the value of constant volume specific heat?

The VdP term typically has a small impact on the value of constant volume specific heat, usually less than 1%. However, at very high pressures, the VdP term can significantly alter the value of constant volume specific heat, making it more accurate for non-ideal gases.

3. Can the VdP term be ignored in calculations of constant volume specific heat?

No, the VdP term should not be ignored in calculations of constant volume specific heat. While it may have a small impact on the value, it is an important correction factor that accounts for the non-ideality of gases at high pressures. Neglecting the VdP term can lead to inaccurate results.

4. How is the VdP term calculated?

The VdP term is calculated using the van der Waals equation, which takes into account the intermolecular forces and volume exclusion of gas molecules at high pressures. It is represented as VdP = -a/V^2, where a is the van der Waals constant and V is the volume of the gas.

5. Is the VdP term only applicable to gases?

Yes, the VdP term is only applicable to gases as it takes into account the behavior of gas molecules at high pressures. It is not necessary to include the VdP term in calculations for liquids or solids as they are considered to be incompressible and do not experience the same non-ideal behavior as gases under pressure.