Vector Algebra: Finding a parallel vector

In summary: What I think I want to do is convert this to a vector equation of a line in form \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}} \over r} = \left\langle {{x_0},{y_0},{z_0}} \right\rangle + t\left\langle {a,b,c} \right\rangle , but I'm not sure how to do that from this form.Finding that is, I think, precisely my problem. I have a candidate relation:\hat x{A_
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A line is given by the equation ##x + 2y - 3z = 7##.
Find any vector in the direction parallel to this line in the Cartesian coordinate system.

Homework Equations

I imagine that there are some fundamental relationships I am missing here that would make this more comprehensible to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Looking at the problem at the surface it would make much more sense if he had described the equation as a "plane" rather than as a "line," and if he were asking for a vector either orthogonal or parallel to the plane. As it is, it's quite confusing. I've been sifting through materials but I can't get past that this looks like the equation for a plane, not a line, and it's worded (and written) very specifically -- the notation above is the notation the professor used (no vectors, "hats," etc, but that notation appears in other questions immediately around this one, so I feel he omitted it on purpose).

What I think I want to do is convert this to a vector equation of a line in form
[itex]\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
\over r} = \left\langle {{x_0},{y_0},{z_0}} \right\rangle + t\left\langle {a,b,c} \right\rangle [/itex], but I'm not sure how to do that from this form.

Physics news on Phys.org
squelch said:

Homework Statement

Find any vector in the direction parallel to this line in the Cartesian coordinate system.

Homework Equations

I imagine that there are some fundamental relationships I am missing here that would make this more comprehensible to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Looking at the problem at the surface it would make much more sense if he had described the equation as a "plane" rather than as a "line," and if he were asking for a vector either orthogonal or parallel to the plane. As it is, it's quite confusing. I've been sifting through materials but I can't get past that this looks like the equation for a plane, not a line, and it's worded (and written) very specifically -- the notation above is the notation the professor used (no vectors, "hats," etc, but that notation appears in other questions immediately around this one, so I feel he omitted it on purpose).

What I think I want to do is convert this to a vector equation of a line in form
[itex]\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
\over r} = \left\langle {{x_0},{y_0},{z_0}} \right\rangle + t\left\langle {a,b,c} \right\rangle [/itex], but I'm not sure how to do that from this form.
What are the coordinates of the vector that describe the direction of this line? Once you have this, the problem is trivial. You might want to use parametric equations.

Math_QED said:
What are the coordinates of the vector that describe the direction of this line? Once you have this, the problem is trivial. You might want to use parametric equations.

Finding that is, I think, precisely my problem. I have a candidate relation:
[tex]\hat x{A_x} + \hat y{A_y} + \hat z{A_z} = \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
\over A} [/tex]
But I'm not completely sure if I am using it correctly if I say:
[tex]\hat x + \hat y2 - \hat z3 = \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
\over A} [/tex]

The coordinate of this vector is any (x,y,z) for which: x + 2y - 3z = 0

This is the line going through (0,0,0), any coordinates on this line are coordinates of the direction of the vector you seek. Do you understand why?

Math_QED said:
The coordinate of this vector is any (x,y,z) for which: x + 2y - 3z = 0

This is the line going through (0,0,0), any coordinates on this line are coordinates of the direction of the vector you seek. Do you understand why?

I do not, precisely. I'm still not getting past the idea that the equation seems to describe a plane to me. It seems that if I pick any z, there would be infinitely many x and y that satisfy the equation, and that I wouldn't be able to pick out a particular direction.

As far as I can tell, this is a plane and not a line. Forget what I posted before (it's been a long time since I used this). The intersection of two planes would be the line, the equation represents an infinite amount of lines, aka a plane.

squelch said:

Homework Statement

squelch said:

Looking at the problem at the surface it would make much more sense if he had described the equation as a "plane" rather than as a "line," .
I agree. The equation above is definitely that of a plane.

Math_QED said:
As far as I can tell, this is a plane and not a line. Forget what I posted before (it's been a long time since I used this). The intersection of two planes would be the line, the equation represents an infinite amount of lines, aka a plane.

So I suppose my only recourse here is to go ask for clarification from the actual professor.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Related to Vector Algebra: Finding a parallel vector

1. What is vector algebra?

Vector algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and properties of mathematical objects known as vectors. Vectors are quantities that have magnitude and direction, and they are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How do you find a parallel vector?

To find a parallel vector, you can use the scalar multiplication property of vectors. This means multiplying the vector by a constant factor. The resulting vector will have the same direction as the original vector, but its magnitude will be different. By choosing the right constant factor, you can create a vector that is parallel to the original vector.

3. What is the importance of finding parallel vectors?

Finding parallel vectors is important in many applications, including physics and engineering. In physics, parallel vectors are used to represent forces and motion in a given direction. In engineering, they are used to represent the direction and magnitude of forces acting on a structure. Additionally, parallel vectors are used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D objects and animations.

4. Can two vectors be parallel if they have the same magnitude but different direction?

No, two vectors cannot be parallel if they have the same magnitude but different direction. Parallel vectors must have the same direction, but their magnitudes can be different. If two vectors have the same magnitude but different direction, they are considered to be antiparallel, meaning they are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How can I check if two vectors are parallel?

To check if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes, the vectors are parallel. Another way to check is by comparing the direction of the two vectors. If they have the same direction, they are parallel.