Velocity of boat in river with varying current

In summary, the question asked for a solution to a problem in which the path was curved and the acceleration had to be taken into account. Unfortunately, the student was not able to find a solution using the assumptions given.
s_j_sawyer

Homework Statement

See attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally began by assuming the rate was constant, obtaining the equations

[itex] V_x^2 + V_y^2 = 1[/itex]

[itex] \tan{\sigma} = \frac{V_y}{V_x} [/itex]

with the assumptions

[itex]V_x(\sigma) = f(\sigma)[/itex]
[itex]V_y(\sigma) = r + g(\sigma)[/itex]

and used the above equations to solve for f and g, and ended up getting the correct result for f, i.e.

[itex]f(\sigma) = \cos{\sigma}[/itex]

but did not get the right result for [itex]g(\sigma). [/itex]

Then I realize that the path was CURVED, hence there had to be acceleration involved, and upon reading other parts of the question figured out that we were not supposed to make the assumption that r was constant. i.e. it turns out

[itex]r = r(x)[/itex]

and I am unsure about how to deal with this to get the correct result

[itex]V_x(\sigma) = \cos{\sigma}[/itex]
[itex]V_y(\sigma) = r + \sin{\sigma}[/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• boat question.png
    boat question.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
Sigma is not the steering angle, right? Because if it was just the angle, you would not know enough to determine the velocity of the boat. So I take it sigma is the velocity of the boat relative to the water.

And if sigma is the velocity, and if I understand correctly, there is nothing to calculate. For surely, if it was not necessary for the question to say that sigma is a velocity, it was expected for you to have some physics intuition. So you can use that same intuition to supply the formulas without proof. So I would move on to part B.

I think I don't understand what the intent of the question was.

Last edited:
Well [itex] \sigma [/itex] is the steering angle... my professor told us just to assume the boat had a constant speed, which is why I introduced the formula

[itex] V_x^2 + V_y^2 = 1^2 [/itex]

and in thus doing so assumed the speed to simply be 1.

Can someone read the question and see if I'm interpreting something wrong here?

Nevermind I got it. I was overthinking it apparently...

Related to Velocity of boat in river with varying current

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a boat in a river with varying current?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a boat in a river with varying current is: V = U + C, where V is the final velocity, U is the velocity of the boat in still water, and C is the velocity of the current.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the velocity of the boat?

The direction of the current can either add to or subtract from the velocity of the boat, depending on whether the boat is moving in the same direction as the current or against it. If the boat is moving in the same direction as the current, the velocity will increase. If the boat is moving against the current, the velocity will decrease.

3. What is the difference between upstream and downstream velocities?

Upstream velocity refers to the speed at which the boat is moving against the current, while downstream velocity refers to the speed at which the boat is moving with the current. Upstream and downstream velocities will be different due to the influence of the current on the boat's overall speed.

4. How does the width of the river impact the velocity of the boat?

The width of the river does not directly impact the velocity of the boat, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the strength of the current. A wider river may have a weaker current, leading to a lower overall velocity for the boat. Conversely, a narrower river may have a stronger current, resulting in a higher velocity for the boat.

5. What other factors can affect the velocity of a boat in a river with varying current?

In addition to the velocity of the current and the width of the river, other factors that can affect the velocity of a boat in a river with varying current include the shape and design of the boat, the weight of the boat and its cargo, and the presence of any obstacles or barriers in the river.