Vertical bar at end of math entry

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, when I enter math like $x^2$ I often get a vertical bar shown to the right of my math when I print the document or view it on screen. Something like this: $x^2|$.
Kiwi1
When I enter math like \(x^2\) I often get a vertical bar shown to the right of my math when I print the document or view it on screen. Something like this: \(x^2|\)

I get this both on this site and also when I write HTML using mathjax.

When I preview this post I don't get the vertical bar. It seems a bit random.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I reliably avoid what looks like an edge on the math image?

Physics news on Phys.org
What browser are you using?

The reason I ask, is that MathJax makes extensive use of HTML/CSS, both of which are handled client-side, and different browsers handle this in different ways.

MarkFL said:
What browser are you using?

The reason I ask, is that MathJax makes extensive use of HTML/CSS, both of which are handled client-side, and different browsers handle this in different ways.

I was using Chrome v49. I just upgraded to Chrome v50. I have tried opening my document with IE11 and that was fine.

In Chrome (either version) if I open my file then all is fine, when I scroll to the bottom of the doc and back to the top the bars appear.

I just looked at a page here with a great deal of $\LaTeX$ on it using Chrome 50.x and didn't notice the issue you reported. Can you give me a link to a page here where the issue occurs for you?

Thanks, I think I have found it.

I was working on an HTML file on my local hard drive. Sometimes I use Mathjax off the web and sometimes from a copy on my HDD.

It turns out I get the bars when I use the HDD copy. So I downloaded a fresh copy of MathJax and so far it seems to be problem solved.

This worked:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML"></script>

This did not until I updated MathJax:
<script type="text/javascript" src="file://c:/mathjax/mathjax-master/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML"></script>

Related to Vertical bar at end of math entry

1. What is the purpose of a vertical bar at the end of a math entry?

The vertical bar at the end of a math entry is known as a "pipe" and it is used as a delimiter to separate elements in a mathematical expression. It is commonly used in algebraic expressions and functions to indicate the boundary between different parts of the expression.

2. How do I type a vertical bar on my keyboard?

On most keyboards, the vertical bar can be typed by pressing the Shift key and the \ key simultaneously. On some keyboards, the vertical bar may be located on the same key as the backslash (\) and can be typed by pressing Shift and the backslash key.

3. Can the vertical bar be used in any other way in mathematics?

Yes, the vertical bar also has other uses in mathematics. In set notation, it is used to denote the cardinality (size) of a set. It can also be used in probability and statistics to indicate conditional probabilities or absolute values.

4. Is the vertical bar interchangeable with other symbols in mathematics?

No, the vertical bar has a specific meaning in mathematics and cannot be replaced by other symbols. It is important to use the vertical bar correctly in order to accurately represent mathematical expressions.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the vertical bar in mathematics?

One common mistake is using the vertical bar as a bracket or parentheses. It is important to understand the proper usage of the vertical bar and to not confuse it with other symbols in mathematical expressions.