Very basic: constant in gravity-model of trade

In summary, the gravity model of trade is based on the size of economies and the distance between them. The formula includes a constant, denoted as G, which represents the same value in all cases. This allows the formula to work for any pair of economies, regardless of their distance or size. The value of G may seem unnecessary, but it allows for the calculation of the numerical value of trade between any two economies. This concept is similar to how physicists use constants in their laws and formulas.
Very basic: "constant" in gravity-model of trade

The gravity model of trade states that trade between countries depends on the size of their economies (bigger = more trade) and distance between them (larger = less trade).

The formula is: Trade = G ((Mi*Mj)/(Distance))

Mi is size of economy i, and Mj is size of economy j, and G is a "constant". I am seeing this term, "constant" used more and more in Economics. Can someone tell me what exactly it means, especially in a formula like this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi 939! :smile:
939 said:
… I am seeing this term, "constant" used more and more in Economics. Can someone tell me what exactly it means, especially in a formula like this?

"constant" means that we use the same value of G in all cases

it doesn't matter which two countries it is, or how far apart they are …

the same formula always works, with the same value of G :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi 939! :smile:

"constant" means that we use the same value of G in all cases

it doesn't matter which two countries it is, or how far apart they are …

the same formula always works, with the same value of G :wink:

Thanks.

The only thing I don't get is why bother even putting G there? If there's two answers from the calculation, 3/2 and 1/2, they'll have the same ratio regardless of what constant G is, no?? In that sense you could just leave out the G all together :-/

939 said:
If there's two answers from the calculation, 3/2 and 1/2, they'll have the same ratio r…

i don't understand :confused:

can you give an example?​

Likes 1 person
939 said:
Thanks.

The only thing I don't get is why bother even putting G there? If there's two answers from the calculation, 3/2 and 1/2, they'll have the same ratio regardless of what constant G is, no?? In that sense you could just leave out the G all together :-/

You can, but we might be interested in the numerical value of the trade instead of just how it compares with the trade between two other economies. Of course if I know the value of the trade between one pair of economies of known size and separation, I can use the ratios to work out the value for any other pair - but that's basically equivalent to calculating the value of G.

Likes 1 person
I think the author of this 'trade law' was a frustrated physicist. Now, he is trying to develop a new 'System of the World' by reformulating economics in terms of various laws like physics has.

Related to Very basic: constant in gravity-model of trade

1. What is a constant in the gravity-model of trade?

In the gravity-model of trade, a constant is a numerical value that represents the overall strength of the relationship between two countries. It is used to account for factors that are not explicitly included in the model, such as cultural similarities, historical ties, and political alliances.

2. How is the constant calculated in the gravity-model of trade?

The constant in the gravity-model of trade is typically estimated using statistical techniques, such as regression analysis. This involves analyzing data on trade flows between countries and determining the best fit for the constant value based on the observed patterns.

3. What is the significance of the constant in the gravity-model of trade?

The constant in the gravity-model of trade is important because it allows us to account for unobservable or unmeasurable factors that may influence trade between countries. Without this constant, the model would not accurately reflect the real-world complexities of international trade.

4. Can the constant in the gravity-model of trade change over time?

Yes, the constant in the gravity-model of trade can change over time as the relationship between countries evolves. Factors such as changes in political alliances, economic conditions, and cultural ties can all impact the strength of the relationship between countries and therefore affect the value of the constant.

5. Is the constant the only variable in the gravity-model of trade?

No, the constant is just one of several variables in the gravity-model of trade. Other important variables include the size of the economies in question, the distance between them, and their level of economic development. These variables work together to help explain the patterns of trade between countries.