Vibrational Stretching Frequencies of some Diatomics

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total entropy for a theoretical reaction involving ideal gases. The stretching frequencies of various molecules are needed for the calculation, and the speaker suggests using infrared spectra. However, the speaker realizes that this may not be possible for all molecules and suggests using data from a database. The equations used for calculating the various contributions to entropy are also mentioned, but the speaker is unsure of how they were derived. The conversation concludes with a discussion on calculating the force constant of a chemical bond and the limitations of using classical models for this calculation.
DDTea
For an assignment (not really homework, but not really exciting either), I'm trying to calculate the total entropy for the reaction:

Na2 + X2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 2 NaX

Where X = F, Cl, and Br . ( I told you this isn't exciting). Also, in this theoretical reaction, everything involved is an ideal gas. As part of my calculation, I need to find the stretching frequency (in cm-1, but I can always convert units to that) of the following molecules (ideal gasses, again): Na2, F2, Cl2, Br2, NaF, NaCl, and NaBr.

What is the best way to go about calculating these?? I was thinking that I'd simply look at the infrared spectra, but I cannot find any... Can I calculate the "force constant" of the bond somehow (modeling it in a sort of classical way) and then, from that, calculate the stretching frequency/IR absorption?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, apparently it was staring me right in the face.[tex]\omega_{e}[/tex] is the vibrational stretching frequency I was looking for (I'm just not familiar with spectroscopic notations...doh!).

Here is NaCl spectrum.

Attachments

• NaCl.jpg
    NaCl.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 502
If you take reaction Na2+X2=2NaX then entropy change of the system is 0 if you take everything as ideal gases then number of moles and volume doesn't change. Total entropy change will be equal to the entropy change of the surroundings which is (ejected heat)/(temperature of the surroundings).
There may be plenty of useful data for you here: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

See, I would expect a very small *decrease* in entropy due to the removal of symmetry. That is, Na2 and X2 both have symmetry numbers of 2 while NaX has a symmetry number of 1.

I'm trying to calculate this from statistical mechanical principles, with a bit of the quantum harmonic oscillator thrown in (when it comes to calculating bond strengths from IR spectra, at least). Specifically, I'm trying to recreate data from JANAF tables.

I'll throw in the equations I'm using here; they're taken from Ch. 2 of Sydney Benson's "Thermochemical Kinetics."

[tex]S^{o}_{total} = S^{o}_{tran}+S^{o}_{vib}+S^{o}_{rot}+S^{o}_{symm}+S^{o}_{elec}
[/tex]

I expect the translational, vibrational, and rotational contributions to form the bulk of the total entropy. The symmetry term is a correction factor to the rotational term. The electronic term is expected to be miniscule and I'm not considering it in my calculation.

Continuing,

[tex]S^{o}_{tran}=37.0 + \frac{3}{2}Rln(\frac{M}{40})+\frac{3}{2}Rln(\frac{T}{298})+Rln(n)[/tex]

Where R = ideal gas constant, M = molar mass of compound, T = absolute temperature, n = number of optical isomers the compound has.

[tex]S^{o}_{vib} = Rln(\frac{k_{B}T}{h\nu})+R[/tex]

nu = energy of photon that causes a vibrational transition.

[tex]S^{o}_{rot} = 6.9+Rln(\frac{I}{\sigma_e})+Rln(\frac{T}{298})[/tex]

where sigma_e = external symmetry number of the molecule.

[tex]S^{o}_{symm} = -Rln\sigma [/tex]

And sigma= total symmetry number of the molecule (combination of external and internal symmetry).

Unfortunately, I have no idea how these equations were derived!

Last edited:
DDTea said:
What is the best way to go about calculating these?? I was thinking that I'd simply look at the infrared spectra, but I cannot find any...

That'd be because most of the species you mention are homonuclear, so they're not IR active. (you'd need IR-Raman spectrum) Otherwise you can look at the http://www.nist.gov/pml/data/msd-di/index.cfm"

And there are tables of Morse potential parameters for diatomics out there, (which includes the force constant)
Can I calculate the "force constant" of the bond somehow (modeling it in a sort of classical way) and then, from that, calculate the stretching frequency/IR absorption?

That'd be the second derivative of the energy with respect to the coordinate distance, hence it's explicitly dependent on the energy, and the wave function, and a complete description of all the electrons. You can't calculate that classically; there's no property of a chemical bond you can calculate classically.

You're trying to create a (semi-)classical model of a chemical bond, which is to assume an effective potential that's a harmonic oscillator or Morse potential. But the only way to determine the parameters for that model is to fit them to experimental data, or to do an explicit quantum-mechanical calculation. Most QC programs will automatically, on doing a frequency calculation, do the entire calculation of the partition function and thermodynamic properties. So I'd assume you're intended to find some experimental values.

Calculating the IR frequencies given a harmonic-oscillator or Morse potential model is covered in every phys-chem textbook, really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Vibrational Stretching Frequencies of some Diatomics

1. What are vibrational stretching frequencies?

Vibrational stretching frequencies are the specific frequencies at which a molecule vibrates when it undergoes stretching motions, such as the increase or decrease in the distances between atoms in a molecule.

2. How are vibrational stretching frequencies measured?

Vibrational stretching frequencies can be measured using techniques such as infrared (IR) spectroscopy, which involves passing infrared light through a sample and measuring the absorbance of the light at different frequencies.

3. What is the significance of studying the vibrational stretching frequencies of diatomic molecules?

Studying the vibrational stretching frequencies of diatomic molecules can provide valuable information about the molecular structure, bonding, and intermolecular forces present in the molecule. This information can also be used in various applications, such as identifying and characterizing unknown molecules.

4. How do the vibrational stretching frequencies of diatomic molecules differ from those of polyatomic molecules?

The vibrational stretching frequencies of diatomic molecules are simpler and easier to interpret compared to those of polyatomic molecules. This is because diatomic molecules have fewer atoms and therefore fewer possible vibrational modes.

5. Can vibrational stretching frequencies be used to determine the chemical identity of a molecule?

Yes, vibrational stretching frequencies can be used as a fingerprint to identify the chemical identity of a molecule. Each molecule has a unique set of vibrational frequencies, which can be compared to known spectra to determine the identity of the molecule.