Voltage Across Resistor in Series Circuit: Impossible?

In summary, the total voltage across a string of series resistors is 24V. If one of the resistors is open, the voltage across it is equal to the applied voltage. There will be no voltage drop across the other resistors.
asdf1
for the question:
the toal voltage across a string of seires resistors is 24V. If one of the resitors is open, how much voltage is there across it? How much is there across each of the good resitors?

my problem:
isn't it impossible to find which part is open in a series circuit without using something to measure it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage drop across a resistor = I * R, where I = current and R = resistance.

If the I = 0, which is the case when a resistor is open, then the voltage drop is what ever the applied voltage is across the resistor, and there is no voltage drop across the other resistors.

right~ opps... i think i might be going overload lately~
thanks!

Related to Voltage Across Resistor in Series Circuit: Impossible?

What is voltage?

Voltage is an electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that pushes electrons through a conductor.

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. It is commonly used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit.

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop with no branches. In this type of circuit, the current remains constant while the voltage drops across each component.

Why is it impossible to measure voltage across a resistor in a series circuit?

It is impossible to measure voltage across a resistor in a series circuit because the voltage across each component in a series circuit is the same. This means that the voltage across the resistor will be equal to the voltage across the other components in the circuit, making it impossible to isolate the voltage across the resistor.

Is it possible to calculate the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit by using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). However, in a series circuit, the voltage across the resistor will be the same as the voltage across the other components, making it unnecessary to calculate the voltage specifically for the resistor.