Von Neumann's uniqueness theorem (CCR representations)

In summary, the conversation discusses the paper "Redei's theorem on complete continuity and its uniqueness" and the proof that P is a projector. The proof can be found in von Neumann's original article, where he uses the concept of "Kern" (integral kernel) to show that ASA = kA. The conversation also touches on the translation of "Kern" in modern math English and how to derive formulas for A and SA from the kernels mentioned in the paper.
Heidi
Hi Pfs,
Please read this paper (equation 4):
https://ncatlab.org/nla b/files/RedeiCCRRepUniqueness.pdf
It is written: Surprise! P is a projector (has to be proved)...
where can we read the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks Demystifier.

Likes Demystifier
Thank you for bringing it up. I will check in von Neumann's original proof or some other source.

The only explicit proof is in von Neumann's original article.
1679829869018.png

Likes Heidi
thanks, it's a good opportunity to revise my German a bit (I studied English and German when in high school)

Tell me if this is correct:
To prove that A and AS(u,v)A only differ by a numerical factor, Von Neumann
calculates the "Kern" of A then of SA and then of ASA. As these "kerns" differ by a m
multiplicative constant k, then ASA = k A.
I would like to know how to translate the german word "Kern" in modern math english. Is it really integral kernel? or characteristic functional?
How to derive his forulas for A and SA?

Yes, an integral kernel is the modern term. As for the calculations themselves are all made by von Neumann. Later accounts (Putnam for example) are telegraphic, no explicit calculations

Likes vanhees71
In the paper Von Neumann considers three operators containing integrals. For each of them , he gives its kernel .
How to retrieve A , SA and ASA from these kernels?