Wave equation in cylindrical coordinates - different expression?

In summary, the conversation was about the wave equation of shear horizontal wave in cylindrical coordinates and the two different expressions for the Laplace operator used in J.L Rose's book. One person asked for an explanation on how to derive the second expression, which is more compact. Another person replied that the two expressions are equivalent and explained how the chain rule can be used to verify this. The first person then asked for clarification on which term to use the chain rule on.
MiSo
Hello to everybody,
I am solving some examples related to wave equation of shear horizontal wave in cylindrical coordinates (J.L Rose: Ultrasolic Waves in Solid Media, chapter 6), which is expressed as follows:

2u=1/cT2⋅∂2u/∂t2

The Laplace operator in cylindrical coordinates can can be derived in the form of (which I have verified to myself):
2=∂2/∂r2+1/r⋅∂/∂r+1/r2⋅∂2/∂θ2+∂2/∂x2

Prof. Rose uses in his book following expression of Laplace operator:
2=1/r⋅∂/∂r⋅(r⋅∂/∂r)+1/r2⋅∂/∂θ2+∂2/∂x2

Can anyone please give be an explanation how to get such an expression? I am quite confused.

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
An attachment...
1.jpg

2.jpg

The two expression are equivalent. Prof. Rose equations is a little more compact. You use the chain rule on the first term to verify that they are the equivalent.

Thank you very much for you reply!

You mean to make chain rule on this term? 1/r⋅∂/∂r⋅(r⋅∂u/∂r) or ∂2u/∂r2
I ask because when I´ll make a chain rule on ∂2u/∂r2 term, I think, that I have to obtain a Laplace operator for cartesian coord. system...

[itex] \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \right) = \frac{1}{r} \left( r \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2} + \frac{\partial r}{\partial r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \right) = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} [/itex]

Related to Wave equation in cylindrical coordinates - different expression?

1. What is the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of waves in a cylindrical system, where the waves are dependent on both time and space coordinates. It is commonly used in fields such as electromagnetics and acoustics.

2. How is the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates different from the standard wave equation?

The wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is different from the standard wave equation in that it takes into account the cylindrical symmetry of the system. This means that the wave equation includes terms for radial and angular coordinates, in addition to the traditional time and spatial coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The use of the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates allows for a more accurate description of wave behavior in systems with cylindrical symmetry. It also provides a more efficient method for solving problems in these types of systems, as it simplifies the equations and reduces the number of variables.

4. How is the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates derived?

The wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is derived from the standard wave equation using the method of separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form of a product of functions of each coordinate, and then substituting this solution into the standard wave equation to solve for the individual functions.

5. Can the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is often used in real-world applications, such as modeling sound waves in cylindrical pipes or electromagnetic waves in cylindrical waveguides. It can also be used to study wave behavior in cylindrical objects, such as antennas or optical fibers.