Waves in a medium versus waves in a vacuum (ie no medium)

In summary, according to Feynman, energy is an abstract thing that does not have a specific form or quantity.
geordief
Famously em waves are an example of the latter case.

The two cases (waves in a medium vs waves propagating without a medium) seem at first (to me) to be extremely different and perhaps only connected by their mathematical descriptions.

I can think of two cases of waves without a medium (em and gravitational). Are there others?

Is there a closer connection between the two kinds of waves than I imagine?

Physics news on Phys.org
geordief said:
only connected by their mathematical descriptions.
The word "only" suggests that the Maths is just an incidental. All waves behave in very similar ways; the physical quantities may differ but time and distance are always there. I would say the Mathematical connection is highly relevant and says a lot about how the Universe actually works - it's always about the delay as energy propagates though space.
I think you are right about EM and Gravity being the only waves discovered that require no medium (at least so far). Sub-space communications haven't been developed yet. :wink:

sophiecentaur said:
<snip>... it's always about the delay as energy propagates though space...
</snip>

I have heard quite frequently that energy is not a (physical) "thing" , more of an accounting process. In the same way as fields ... but I have been contradicted before when I mentioned it .

Perhaps it is more of a point of interpretation than anything (some people like to think of it as something that could be "packaged" and so take it too far)

Last edited:
geordief said:
more of an accounting process.
That's a good description. It's always 'conserved' as long as you take account of all the inputs and outputs. But 'what it is' is not defined - except in the sort of terms that we teach kids. I always told 'em "Energy is necessary for anything to happen". That was followed by a chorus of suggestions about when that definition of mine was violated. I had to field stuff like "What about when someone dies, sir?"
But all the things we take for granted - like mass and distance - are just as slippery.

geordief said:
more of an accounting process.
Feynman spoke about it that way.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html

"There are no blocks"

"It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is. We do not have a picture that energy comes in little blobs of a definite amount. It is not that way. However, there are formulas for calculating some numerical quantity, and when we add it all together it gives “28" -- always the same number. It is an abstract thing in that it does not tell us the mechanism or the reasons for the various formulas."

Related to Waves in a medium versus waves in a vacuum (ie no medium)

What is the difference between waves in a medium and waves in a vacuum?

Waves in a medium require a material substance, such as water or air, to travel through, while waves in a vacuum do not require any material substance. In a vacuum, waves can only travel through empty space.

How do waves behave differently in a medium compared to a vacuum?

In a medium, waves can be reflected, refracted, and diffracted, while waves in a vacuum can only travel in a straight line. Waves in a medium can also change their speed and direction, while waves in a vacuum travel at a constant speed.

Do waves in a medium and waves in a vacuum have different properties?

Yes, waves in a medium and waves in a vacuum have different properties. For example, waves in a medium have a medium-dependent speed, while waves in a vacuum have a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light.

Can sound waves travel in a vacuum?

No, sound waves require a medium to travel through, such as air or water. In a vacuum, there is no material substance for sound waves to travel through, so they cannot propagate.

How do waves in a medium and waves in a vacuum affect the transmission of energy?

Waves in a medium can transfer energy through the material substance they are traveling through, while waves in a vacuum do not transfer energy through a material substance. Instead, waves in a vacuum transfer energy through electromagnetic fields.