Weight of a Box between two fluids of different densities

In summary, the problem involves a box floating between two fluids with different densities. Using the free body diagram and Archimedes principle, we can determine the mass of the box by considering the pressures at the bottom and top of the box, taking into account the buoyancy of the bottom liquid with respect to the top liquid.
viciousp

Homework Statement

A box with a height L, and a cross sectional Area A is floating between two fluids of densities p1 and p2. Determine the mass of the box using ho, h1, h2, p1, p2, and A.

Homework Equations

F= pVg

The Attempt at a Solution

In the file attached I drew my free body diagram and the image of the box. Solving my FBD I get:

mg+p1(A)(ho)g=p2(A)(h2)g

Solving for m:

p2(A)(h2)-p1(A)(ho)

but with Archimedes principal the answer should be p2(A)(h2)+p1(A)(h1), so what did I do wrong/forget?

Thanks

Attachments

• Drawing_FBD.jpg
    Drawing_FBD.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
The bottom liquid is under the top liquid (obviously), but this has consequences for the pressures that are felt by the box in the bottom liquid.

So the only thing I can think of is the pressure of the top liquid acting on the bottom liquid, as well as the buoyancy of the bottom liquid with respect to the top liquid.

Im assuming these two forces are equal to each other Fb= (h1+h0)A*p1. If I include the buoyancy of liquid 2 on liquid 1 on the box diagram it does give me the answer I want, but I don't conceptually understand why.

Write the expressions for the pressures at the bottom of the box and the top of the box (at depths h0 and h0+h1+h2).

Ahh, I see thanks now it makes sense.

Related to Weight of a Box between two fluids of different densities

1. What is the weight of a box between two fluids of different densities?

The weight of a box between two fluids of different densities is determined by the buoyant force acting on the box. This buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the box. In other words, the weight of the box will be less than its actual weight when it is completely submerged in a fluid, and the weight will vary depending on the density of the fluids on either side of the box.

2. How does the density of the fluids affect the weight of the box?

The density of the fluids will directly affect the weight of the box. If the box is submerged in a fluid with a higher density, it will experience a greater buoyant force and therefore have a lower weight. Conversely, if the box is submerged in a fluid with a lower density, it will experience a lower buoyant force and have a higher weight.

3. Is the weight of the box between two fluids of different densities the same as its weight in a single fluid?

No, the weight of the box between two fluids of different densities will not be the same as its weight in a single fluid. This is because the buoyant force will be different in each scenario, as the box is displacing different amounts of fluid in each case.

4. How can the weight of the box between two fluids of different densities be calculated?

The weight of the box between two fluids of different densities can be calculated by first determining the buoyant force acting on the box. This can be done by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the box that is submerged in that fluid. Then, the weight of the box can be calculated by subtracting the buoyant force from the actual weight of the box.

5. Will the weight of the box change if the densities of the fluids are changed?

Yes, the weight of the box will change if the densities of the fluids are changed. As mentioned before, the weight of the box is directly affected by the density of the fluids. So, if the densities are changed, the buoyant force acting on the box and therefore its weight will also change.