Well, I've forgotten intermediate algebra

• Thread starter zombienozz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the topic of forgotten intermediate algebra refers to the loss of understanding or knowledge in the subject of intermediate algebra. This can happen for various reasons, such as lack of practice, prolonged period of not using the concepts, or simply not retaining the information. For individuals who have forgotten intermediate algebra, it may require relearning the subject or refreshing their memory through practice and review.
zombienozz
Hey guys, so here's my situation. I've decided to pursue a major in physics, but it's been some time since I've taken a math course. The last class I took was intermediate algebra, but I really can't remember anything that I learned (was about 2 years ago). So my question is, in order to succeed in trigonometry (which I'm taking in the fall), and calculus after that, are there any must-know topics in intermediate algebra that I should brush up on? Or should I just buy a textbook and try to learn it from scratch? I'm really going to take my major seriously, so I just want to make sure I haven't forgotten something that is vital for continuing in mathematics. Anyway, that's all, I appreciate any advice you all can give. Thanks.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy a textbook and work your way through it I think. Skip anything that is familiar where you can do worked examples with ease and get the correct answers. Hopefully if its a decent textbook it will end with calculus whilst tackling algebra of the required level too. It was invaluable to me as I had not studied maths for 10 years and it helped a lot.

In my course the calculus etc starts from basics and slides you into the more advanced degree level stuff gently so that should be all you need. If not then I'm sure they will point you in the direction of courses that will bring you up to speed, I'm sure universities don't expect people to all be of the same level, so they cater for this. As long as you are at the basic level required then you should be fine.

I really like Khan Academy. Over 2000 ten minute video lectures on a huge range of math and science.
http://www.khanacademy.org/#Algebra"

For your situation, it may be a good idea to start in the pre calc playlist and see if you can follow along. He often mentions the previous video you should watch if there is something specific you don't understand in the current one.

If you wish to excel, and not just get by in a math heavy major, you really should have a lot of practice with algebra. Not just understand it, but actually do many problems. The Khan Academy has a bunch of practice problems, and there are plenty on the internet. If you want a book, a few edition old college textbook will be very cheap.
http://search.half.ebay.com/algebra_W0QQsoZ1QQmZbooksQQsortZ88QQsbyZ1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Restudy all of Intermediate Algebra on your own from a good textbook, and start NOW. If your Elementary Algebra knowledge is still good, you will be able to learn Intermediate Algebra again in a 3 month period, and learn it much better than last time. If you are weak in some aspects of Elementary Algebra,... then you know what to do.

Borrow a copy from a local library, or buy a copy, of "Forgotten Algebra." Do every problem in the book as fast as you can go. Then start at the beginning and do it all over again. That book was written specifically for people who knew algebra once, but it has been a while and those brain cells are sleeping. That book will bring back all those little essential bits that you will use again and again in the future. The only negative feedback I ever got was that one student wished there was a "Forgotten Advanced Algebra."

I would study College Algebra rather than Intermediate. College algebra is a more advanced version of Intermediate Algebra, with more challenging problems but still the same concept as Intermediate Algebra. For College Algebra, I recommend "College Algebra" by Michael Sullivan 8th Edition.

Thanks guys, these are all great ideas. I'll check some of the books out, and that Khan Academy site seems really well done. I'll definitely use it as a supplement, at least. Thanks for the advice. :)

University used bookstores are great places for this as well. I've actually spent the last 3 months working through a pre-calculus textbook that I only paid $5 for used. Between that, khanacademy, and other sources it's been fairly painless. I just go through a section one day and do all the practice questions the next, at a fairly leisurely pace.

At least for me 3 months was good enough to get through most of the text. I still have conic sections to go through (and sections on matrices, sequences and series, and probability, but for my purposes I might skip those).

I've also bought older editions of Stewart's calculus and Halliday and Resnick's first year physics text, both for under ten dollars each. For learning on your own, older editions are a god send!

Related to Well, I've forgotten intermediate algebra

1. What is intermediate algebra?

Intermediate algebra is a branch of mathematics that builds upon basic algebraic concepts to solve more complex equations and problems. It includes topics such as factoring, quadratic equations, and systems of equations.

2. Why is intermediate algebra important?

Intermediate algebra is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields such as science, engineering, and economics. It also serves as a foundation for higher-level math courses.

3. What are some common topics covered in intermediate algebra?

Some common topics covered in intermediate algebra include solving equations with multiple variables, graphing linear and quadratic equations, and working with exponents and radicals.

4. What if I've forgotten intermediate algebra?

If you've forgotten intermediate algebra, it's important to review the basic concepts before moving on to more advanced topics. There are many online resources and textbooks available to help refresh your memory and practice problem-solving.

5. Can I be successful in science without a strong understanding of intermediate algebra?

While a strong understanding of intermediate algebra is beneficial in many scientific fields, it is not the only factor in determining success. Other skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and communication are also important. However, having a solid foundation in intermediate algebra can make it easier to understand and apply mathematical concepts in scientific research.