What are some DIY electronics gift ideas for the holiday season?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for Christmas gift ideas to build using electronics and microcontrollers at a low cost. They mention their experience with Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and PIC microcontrollers and ask for suggestions from others. They also mention websites like Instructables and ThinkGeek as potential sources for ideas.
axmls
Hello all

I'm looking for some cool Christmas gift ideas that I can build for friends and family at a fairly cheap price (~50-70$ assuming I've already got basic components/hardware) using electronics/microcontrollers. Most DIY sites I see after a quick Google are non-electronics oriented, so I was wondering if anyone here had any brilliant ideas or could help me out with figuring out some good gifts to build for any demographic.

Also, hardware suggestions are accepted too. Right now I have the most experience with Raspberry Pi/Arduino/PIC microcontrollers (in that order).

Thanks for any inputs

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.thinkgeek.com might have something too

Related to What are some DIY electronics gift ideas for the holiday season?

1. What are some easy DIY electronics gift ideas for beginners?

Some easy DIY electronics gift ideas for beginners include making a simple LED light-up card, creating a personalized photo frame with LED lights, or assembling a mini FM radio kit.

2. How can I incorporate recycled materials into my DIY electronics gift?

You can incorporate recycled materials into your DIY electronics gift by repurposing old electronic components or using materials such as cardboard, plastic bottles, or old CDs for the packaging or casing of your gift.

3. Are there any DIY electronics gift ideas that are budget-friendly?

Yes, there are many DIY electronics gift ideas that are budget-friendly. Some examples include making a DIY smartphone projector using a shoebox and magnifying glass, creating a custom LED nameplate using a strip of LEDs and a wooden board, or building a simple electronic music synthesizer using basic electronic components.

4. Can I personalize my DIY electronics gift?

Yes, you can personalize your DIY electronics gift by incorporating the recipient's interests or hobbies into the design. For example, if they love music, you can make a DIY music visualizer using LEDs and a music sensor module.

5. Do I need any special skills or tools to make a DIY electronics gift?

It depends on the complexity of the gift you want to make. Some DIY electronics gifts may require basic soldering skills and tools, while others can be assembled without any special skills or tools. It is always a good idea to research the project beforehand and determine if you have the necessary skills and tools to complete it.