What are some popular online resources for self-studying physics?

• Thread starter astrodummy
  • Start date
In summary, some popular websites for self-studying physics include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, HyperPhysics, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These websites offer free online resources for self-studying physics, including practice problems, quizzes, and even full-length exams. There are also online communities and forums, such as Reddit's r/PhysicsStudents and Physics Forums, dedicated to self-studying physics. These resources are suitable for all levels of physics study, allowing individuals to choose their own pace and level of difficulty.
astrodummy
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hi there,

My name is Steve, I'm a retired IT guy from Canberra, Australia. I've been studying physics since retiring as much as I can. I've done the brilliant AstroX series Astrophysics on edX, a course on Special Relativity on Coursera and various other courses. But mostly I do self-paced study using a bunch of textbooks I bought second hand.

While I'm not studying physics I'm doing things with my dog, Freya. She's a lovely 2 yo Shetland Sheepdog. I've never had a dog before so it's a new experience for both of us. But we are doing very well. We have finished companion obedience classes, and now we are starting Agility and Rally Obedience. I think the social contact and physical exercise is good for her, and me.

I look forward to discussing physics for you all.

Steve

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
astrodummy said:
How did you find PF?: Google search

Hi there,

My name is Steve, I'm a retired IT guy from Canberra, Australia. I've been studying physics since retiring as much as I can. I've done the brilliant AstroX series Astrophysics on edX, a course on Special Relativity on Coursera and various other courses. But mostly I do self-paced study using a bunch of textbooks I bought second hand.

While I'm not studying physics I'm doing things with my dog, Freya. She's a lovely 2 yo Shetland Sheepdog. I've never had a dog before so it's a new experience for both of us. But we are doing very well. We have finished companion obedience classes, and now we are starting Agility and Rally Obedience. I think the social contact and physical exercise is good for her, and me.

I look forward to discussing physics for you all.

Steve
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, dogs are great. Post a pic of her in the "animal lover's thread" https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/for-animal-lovers.583729/

I was in the process of replying to your thread on the one-way speed of light when it disappeared. I was suggesting a forum search for that topic for more discussion.

astrodummy said:
Ah ha. Sometimes they leave a re-direct but since the post had no replies when he moved it, I guess he didn't feel that a redirect was needed. As you can see, he also pointed out that it has been discussed here many times.

They are not sysadmins here (there ARE one or two of those, but except for the owner, Greg, they don't participate in discussions). Here it is the "moderators" who run the forum except for technical fixes.

Peter Donis, who moved your thread, is one of the very best. You can learn a lot by reading his posts. BUT ... be warned, he does get down in the weeds w/ math and advanced concepts.

Thanks, I'm okay with getting into the weeds, provided they don't get too thick.

Related to What are some popular online resources for self-studying physics?

1. What are some popular websites for self-studying physics?

Some popular websites for self-studying physics include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, HyperPhysics, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

2. Are there any free online resources for self-studying physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for self-studying physics, such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

3. Can I find practice problems and quizzes on these online resources?

Yes, many of these online resources offer practice problems, quizzes, and even full-length exams to help you test your understanding and skills in physics.

4. Are there any online communities or forums for self-studying physics?

Yes, there are online communities and forums dedicated to self-studying physics, such as Reddit's r/PhysicsStudents and Physics Forums.

5. Are these online resources suitable for all levels of physics study?

Yes, these online resources cater to a wide range of levels, from introductory physics to advanced topics. You can choose the level that best suits your needs and progress at your own pace.