What are the connections between mathematics and quantum chemistry?

• Thread starter NTuft
  • Start date
In summary, mathematics plays a crucial role in quantum chemistry, providing the necessary tools and methods to model and understand the behavior of atoms and molecules at the quantum level. The principles of linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations are used to solve the complex equations and models that describe the behavior of electrons and nuclei in molecules. Additionally, mathematical concepts such as symmetry and group theory are fundamental to understanding the properties and behavior of molecules. Without the use of mathematics, it would be impossible to accurately describe and predict the behavior of matter at the quantum level, making it an essential component of quantum chemistry.
NTuft
How did you find PF?
Looking for information on number theory vis a vis derivations from infinity
Hello,

I'm looking to learn more about mathematics, connections to quantum chemistry, and how these could help create new theories. I have a lot to learn, in particular on calculus (at least I think so but it's hard to measure one's self) and refining math understanding above and below that level. I can already say I've gained from discussions here I've browsed over on potential energy in electrostatics, Dirac delta function which is new to me, and will be looking at various things like Euler-Lagrange equation and a primer on Quaternions soon enough.
So, to begin, thanks to all the participants here and the forum facilitators for the information hub.

NTuft (no affiliation with Tufts).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

• Skeptical
Likes NTuft
Like the avatar. Keep it real, bro!

• Haha
Likes NTuft and berkeman