What are the differences between house flies and barn flies?

• Thread starter CHW
  • Start date
In summary, house flies and barn flies are two types of flying insects that are commonly found in human settlements. House flies are typically smaller in size and have a more oval-shaped body, while barn flies are larger and have a more elongated body. The main difference between the two is their preferred habitats, with house flies being attracted to human dwellings and barn flies being found in agricultural settings. Additionally, house flies are known to be carriers of diseases and can be a nuisance to humans, while barn flies are primarily a nuisance to livestock. Both types of flies have similar life cycles and feeding habits, but their physical appearance and habitat preferences set them apart.
CHW
How did you find PF?
by looking at phys.org. I've been a science nerd most of my life and once I found phys I checked it daily or more. It's my kind of site!
In regards the question of house flies vs barn flies unless there is considerable distance between the two most of the fly species you will find in the house you will find in the barn as well. Horse flies are just one specie found around livestock, there are others as well.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Thank you!