What are the Different Approaches for DFT and How Do I Choose the Right One?

• Thread starter aihaike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dft
In summary, Eric explains that there are different types of plane waves that can be used for DFT, and pseudopotentials are used to remove core wavefunctions from the calculation. He also notes that planewaves/pseudopotentials are not usually the "best" choice for crystal states, but they can be the best choice for certain things.
aihaike
Dear all,

I trying to get a better understanding of the DFT method, but the more I read the more I'm confused.
Well, for crystal states it seems that the use of the plane wave with pseudo potentials is the "best" choice.
But yet we have to choice between soft pseudo potentials or projector augmented plane waves for example.
And what about regular augmented plane waves?
Then, I may miss something here but I don't get the meaning of "LDA pseudopotential". Why a pseudopotential depends on the definition of a exchange-correlation functional?
Why do we need to generate pseudopotentials ?
Again, I'm just a beginner of DFT methods.
I knows it depends on what material we study, on we want to compute, but I need to be clear about what those things really mean and there are so many paper work about that. As a beginner it's very easy to get lost.

Eric.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Augmented plane waves (APW) is generally regarded as the most accurate DFT basis set, however it's a slow method because the basis functions are energy dependent. The basis functions can be linearized to get rid of the energy dependence in the LAPW method, which is also quite accurate and implemented in codes like Wien2k and Elk. Also there are techniques of using local orbitals for basis functions, like is used in the FPLO code.

Pseudopotentials are generated by solving the DFT problem for an isolated atom with all its electrons. An exchange-correlation functional is required for that, so each pseudopotential that you generate is labeled by the xc that was used to generate it.

Pseudopotentials must be generated when using planewave codes. Near atomic cores, the wavefunctions vary rapidly in space to maintain orthogonality with core wavefunctions. To represent that in planewaves would require a very large number of planewaves, so much so that it can be computationally difficult, especially for large atomic numbers. So the pseudopotential is used to remove the core wavefunctions from the calculation and the nodes that exist in the valence wavefunctions. This is an approximation technique which is not systematic, so that is why you get many different approaches for creating pseudopotentials.

Planewaves/pseudopotentials aren't the "best" choice for crystal states in general. They can be the best choice for certain things, and there are times when LAPW or local orbitals are better choices.

Dear Kanato,

Thank you for your clear answer.
I suppose codes where PW are implemented also do LAPW?

No, not usually. But these days most PW codes do PAW though.

ok, thanks again.

Related to What are the Different Approaches for DFT and How Do I Choose the Right One?

What is density functional theory (DFT)?

Density functional theory (DFT) is a computational method used to calculate the electronic structure of a system. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and uses the density of electrons instead of wave functions to describe the system.

What are the different DFT approaches?

There are several different DFT approaches, including local density approximation (LDA), generalized gradient approximation (GGA), meta-GGA, and hybrid functionals. These methods differ in the way they treat the exchange and correlation effects between electrons.

How do DFT approaches differ from each other?

DFT approaches differ in terms of accuracy, computational efficiency, and applicability to different types of systems. LDA is the simplest and least accurate method, while hybrid functionals are more complex but provide higher accuracy. Some methods are better suited for certain types of systems, such as GGA for transition metals.

What are the benefits of using DFT approaches?

DFT approaches have many benefits, including their ability to predict the electronic structure of a system without experimental data, their speed and efficiency compared to other methods, and their applicability to a wide range of systems. They are also less computationally demanding than other quantum mechanical methods, making them more accessible to researchers.

What are the limitations of DFT approaches?

DFT approaches have some limitations, including their accuracy in certain situations, such as when there are strong correlation effects between electrons. They also rely on approximations and simplifications, which can lead to errors. Additionally, they are not able to model dynamic or time-dependent systems.