What Are the Dynamics of a Collar Sliding on a Rotating Rod?

In summary: You won't need the eθ component of the force. In summary, the angular velocity is 16 rad/s and the total force is 2 lb.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

A 3-lb collar can slide on a horizontal rod which is free to rotate about a vertical shaft. The collar is intially held at A by a cord attached to the shaft. A spring constant of 2 lb/ft is attached to the collar and to the shaft and is undeformed when the collar is at A. As the rod rotates at the rate ThetaDot=16 rad/s, the cord is cut and the collar moves out along the rod. Neglecting friction and mass of the rod, determine

a)the radial and transverse components of the acceleration at A

b)The acceleration of the collar relative to the rod at A

c)the transverse component of the velocity of the collar at B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution to the problem. The answers are
a) Ar=0, Atheta=0

b)1536 in./s^2

c)32.0 in/s

I don't feel like this is a difficult problem, but I am definitely missing a key concept. How can you determine these quantities without r as a function of time?

Attachments

• 1290.png
    1290.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,093
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi negatifzeo! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
negatifzeo said:
I don't feel like this is a difficult problem, but I am definitely missing a key concept. How can you determine these quantities without r as a function of time?

I suppose you're wondering how you can find r'' without knowing r(t)? :redface:

It doesn't matter, because you can work it out from good ol' Newton's second law … Fradial = m(r'' - ω2r) :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I suppose you're wondering how you can find r'' without knowing r(t)? :redface:

It doesn't matter, because you can work it out from good ol' Newton's second law … Fradial = m(r'' - ω2r) :wink:

The angular velocity is given. The mass is given. But we don't know the total force, do we? The total force is broken up into two components, "e-sub-r" and "e-sub-theta", which we do not know.

(what hapened to that θ i gave you? :redface:)
negatifzeo said:
The angular velocity is given. The mass is given. But we don't know the total force, do we? The total force is broken up into two components, "e-sub-r" and "e-sub-theta", which we do not know.

You won't need the eθ component of the force.

Try it for a) first. :smile:

As a scientist, it is important to understand the key concepts and equations involved in solving a problem, rather than just memorizing the solution. In this problem, the key concept is the conservation of energy. The collar is initially at rest at point A, with both potential and kinetic energy equal to zero. When the cord is cut, the collar starts moving along the rod, and energy is conserved as it moves towards point B.

To solve for the radial and transverse components of acceleration at A, we can use the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is given by ac = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius. In this case, the collar is initially at rest, so its velocity is zero. The radius, r, is also zero since the collar is at point A. Therefore, the centripetal acceleration at point A is also zero.

To solve for the acceleration of the collar relative to the rod at A, we can use the formula for tangential acceleration, which is given by at = r*alpha, where alpha is the angular acceleration. In this problem, we are given the angular velocity, ThetaDot, which is equal to 16 rad/s. Since there is no friction or mass of the rod, the angular acceleration is also equal to 16 rad/s^2. Thus, the tangential acceleration at point A is 16*0 = 0 in/s^2.

Finally, to solve for the transverse component of the velocity of the collar at point B, we can use the formula for tangential velocity, which is given by v = r*omega, where omega is the angular velocity. In this case, the radius, r, is equal to the length of the rod, which is constant. We know that the angular velocity, ThetaDot, is also constant at 16 rad/s. Therefore, the tangential velocity at point B is equal to 16*length of the rod = 16*12 = 192 in/s.

In summary, by understanding the key concept of conservation of energy and using the appropriate equations, we can solve for the different components of acceleration and velocity in this problem without having to know r as a function of time.

Related to What Are the Dynamics of a Collar Sliding on a Rotating Rod?

What is a "Dynamics Homework Problem"?

A "Dynamics Homework Problem" is a question or exercise that requires students to apply the principles of dynamics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause that motion.

Why are "Dynamics Homework Problems" important to study?

Studying "Dynamics Homework Problems" helps students understand the fundamental principles of motion and forces, which are essential for understanding the physical world around us. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common topics covered in "Dynamics Homework Problems"?

Some common topics covered in "Dynamics Homework Problems" include kinematics (the study of motion), Newton's laws of motion, forces, energy, momentum, and circular motion.

How can I approach solving a "Dynamics Homework Problem"?

To solve a "Dynamics Homework Problem", it is essential to first understand the given scenario and identify the relevant principles and equations. Then, carefully set up the problem, making sure to include all relevant variables and units. Finally, use the appropriate equations and solve for the desired unknown.

What resources can I use to help me with "Dynamics Homework Problems"?

There are many resources available to help with "Dynamics Homework Problems", including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek assistance from teachers, tutors, or classmates if you are struggling with a particular problem.