What are the ## latex symbols?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter BruceW
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of latex symbols and tags, specifically the use of \## as a shortcut for itex tags. It is mentioned that \[tex] and \$$ are also equivalent on PF. The conversation also touches on the use of equation labeling, which may require additional latex packages.
BruceW
Homework Helper
what are the ## latex symbols??

hi all,
I was wondering, whenever I quote someone's equations, it comes up something like \##\frac{x}{y}\## with these \## symbols... But I have been using \[itex\]\frac{x}{y}\[/itex\]. So what are these \## symbols all about? Are they equivalent to [itex] ?

p.s. I've used \[itex] and \## so that the computer doesn't just turn it into latex

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the two are equivalent on PF. Similarly \[tex] amd \$$ are equivalent.

Yes, they are equivalent to itex tags. It's kind of a shortcut. Similarly, you can type two dollar signs instead of an opening or closing tex tag. Edit: D'oh. I'm always too slow.

ah, thanks dudes. /## is much easier to type than /[tex]
I wonder if I can use
[tex]\begin{equation} \frac{x}{y} \end{equation}[/tex]
ah, guess not.

That one works when I copy and paste it.
[tex]\begin{equation} \frac{x}{y} \end{equation}[/tex] It also works without any tags at all. (The begin and end are sufficient).
\begin{equation} \frac{x}{y} \end{equation} Maybe MathJax was confused by the /## and /[tex] earlier in your post? Let's try it again.
[tex]\begin{equation} \frac{x}{y} \end{equation}[/tex]
Yes, that seems to be the problem.

oh cool, thanks.
[tex]\begin{equation} \label{eq:practice} \frac{x}{y} \end{equation} [/tex]
I also tried to label it, but it did not do any automatic label numbering (of the equation). I guess that would be part of some latex package which is not included for the latex of this site. (or something like that. I'm not so knowledgeable about this kind of stuff). It's no problem really, I was just trying it out to see.

I labeled it [itex]\ref{eq:practice}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to What are the ## latex symbols?

1. What is the difference between \alpha and \beta?

The symbols \alpha and \beta are both Greek letters commonly used in mathematics and science. The main difference between them is that \alpha is usually used to represent a constant or independent variable, while \beta is often used to represent a coefficient or dependent variable.

2. How do I type \mu in LaTeX?

To type the symbol \mu in LaTeX, you can use the command \mu or \micro. These commands will produce the lowercase Greek letter mu in your document.

3. What does the symbol \nabla represent?

The symbol \nabla, also known as the nabla symbol, represents the del operator in vector calculus. It is commonly used to denote the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field in mathematics and physics.

4. How do I create a subscript or superscript in LaTeX?

To create a subscript in LaTeX, you can use the underscore symbol (_) followed by the text you want to appear as a subscript. For superscripts, you can use the caret symbol (^) followed by the text you want to appear as a superscript. Both of these can be used within math mode to create subscripts and superscripts in equations and formulas.

5. What is the purpose of the symbol \infty?

The symbol \infty, also known as infinity, is used to represent a quantity that is unbounded or unlimited. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent values that are infinitely large or infinitely small.