What are the Units for the momentum of a Photon?

In summary, a photon with a wavelength of 428 nm in vacuum has a frequency of 7.01×1014 Hz, an energy of 4.64×10-19 J, and a momentum of 1.546E-27 kg/s.
blue_lilly

Homework Statement

A photon, a packet of electromagnetic radiation, carries both energy and momentum. Consider a photon with a wavelength of 428 nm in vacuum.
A) What is the frequency of the photon? 7.01×1014 Hz CORRECT
B) What is the energy of the photon? 4.64×10-19 J
C) What is the momentum of the photon?

Homework Equations

P=m*V
Plancks Constant: (6.6262E-34 J/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) (3E8 m/s) / (4.28E-7 m) = 7.009E14 Hz CORRECT
B) (7.009E14 Hz) * (6.6262E-34 J/s) = 4.644E-19 J CORRECT
This is where I need Help
C) What is the momentum of the photon?
[(7.009E14 Hz)*(6.6262E-34 J/s)] / (3E8 m/s) = 1.546E-27

I think I have the number but I can't submit it to check it, until I have the right unit of measurement. I tried (Hz*m/s), (m/s), (nm*m/s).
If I don't have the number right would you let me know as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the standard units for momentum? Think mass*speed.

You can figure it out from your calculation by expressing Hz and J in terms of more fundamental units.

Doc Al said:
What are the standard units for momentum? Think mass*speed.

You can figure it out from your calculation by expressing Hz and J in terms of more fundamental units.

So Hz is frequency and frequency either be:
1) inverse of wavelength: (1/λ) and in this problem wavelength is measured in nm. So it could be (1/nm)​
2) speed of light divided by wavelength: (c/λ) and c is measured in m/s and wavelength in nm. So it could be [(m*nm)/s]​

Joules is measured as [(kg*m^2)/s^2]. Photons are mass-less so maybe you can remove the kg to get [(m^2)/(s^2)]

So all together I would have: [(m*nm)/s] [(m^2)/(s^2)]

Am I doing this right? I feel like I'm not because I can't cross out any variables that are on the top with ones on the bottom.

How does nm compare with m?

SteamKing said:
How does nm compare with m?

1 meter is 1E9 nano-meters.
1 nano-meter is 1E-9 meters.

blue_lilly said:
1 meter is 1E9 nano-meters.
1 nano-meter is 1E-9 meters.

So that there is an equivalent number of meters in 1 nano-meter, right?

blue_lilly said:
So Hz is frequency and frequency either be:
1) inverse of wavelength: (1/λ) and in this problem wavelength is measured in nm. So it could be (1/nm)​
No, frequency is not 1/λ.

2) speed of light divided by wavelength: (c/λ) and c is measured in m/s and wavelength in nm. So it could be [(m*nm)/s]​
Not exactly. Think of c/λ as speed divided by distance. Or distance/time divided by distance, which is 1/time or 1/sec.

Joules is measured as [(kg*m^2)/s^2]. Photons are mass-less so maybe you can remove the kg to get [(m^2)/(s^2)]
No, don't go removing mass. These are units, not formulas.

So all together I would have: [(m*nm)/s] [(m^2)/(s^2)]

Am I doing this right? I feel like I'm not because I can't cross out any variables that are on the top with ones on the bottom.
You messed things up a bit. So you can try again. And don't forget that you are also dividing by speed.

Even simpler is to use standard units for momentum, given by mass*speed. (But it's a good exercise to see if you can arrive at it step by step, as you are attempting to do.)

Related to What are the Units for the momentum of a Photon?

What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity.

What are the units for momentum?

The units for momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s) in the SI system.

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light.

How is momentum related to a photon?

According to the wave-particle duality of light, a photon has both wave-like and particle-like properties. Its momentum is related to its frequency and wavelength through the equation p = h/λ, where h is Planck's constant and λ is the wavelength. This means that the momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength.

Why is the momentum of a photon important?

The momentum of a photon plays a crucial role in many phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and radiation pressure. It is also used in many scientific fields, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and optics, to understand the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.