What can I do to make my physics bachelor more marketable?

In summary: Oftentimes companies will only consider applicants with certain certifications or degrees. There are a lot of online resources that can help you prepare for the FE exam, but it's not something you can just cram in a few days and expect to pass.
Arjani
When I chose physics as my major a few years ago I really did not think about the fact I'd have to find a job someday, I just wanted to study something interesting. Well, here I am now, wishing I'd gone with engineering or something instead. Since I'm also burned out on college in general, I'll have to make the best of this physics bachelor and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make it more attractive? I don't expect to do anything physics related and I sure as hell can't teach, so I'm looking to see if I can perhaps do engineering work. For instance, I was thinking about taking the FE exam, which you can do without an engineering degree in some states. Is that something an employer may value? What else can I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make yourself look like a leader. FE is good. Short courses or certification in any tech discipline is good.

Helping run a technical society (eg on an IEEE committee), sporting coaching (that comes with a certification you can put in your resume), first aid, occupational health & safety.

1-2 Microsoft certifications or project management certification looks good too.

You can do some of these certifications in a day. Use time wisely.

Did you pick up any employable skills while getting your degree? Programming and instrumentation are examples. Did you learn C++ or Java? How to operate SEM, TEM, etc? General lab work, or Labview?

I worry that the FE exam will have very little value without skills that employers will find valuable. Being a PE has no value by itself, it's just that sometimes it can add value to other work you do, or allow you to do work you could not otherwise do.

Thanks for the replies.

Short courses or certification in any tech discipline is good.

Can you give an example of such courses/certifications that would look good on a resume? I've been looking around, but haven't found anything so far.

Did you pick up any employable skills while getting your degree? Programming and instrumentation are examples. Did you learn C++ or Java? How to operate SEM, TEM, etc? General lab work, or Labview?

I've picked up some C++, but not enough to be useful in a work environment. I know there are plenty of programming jobs out there, but I think it would take me too much time to catch up now. That's why I was looking at engineering work, since I figured I might be able to do that without an additional months/years worth of training before I can even to start to apply. I know stuff like Mathemetica, but I doubt any employer cares about that.

I'm in the same situation (except I'm still interested in pursuing further study and don't have any regrets of having studied physics).

To answer the thread's question: get a graduate degree in something if you can afford it. I hate to be pessimistic, but it looks like the only way you'll get an engineering job in this climate is if the employer can't find anyone with an engineering degree for the position that isn't a convicted felon or if you have some serious contacts that will overlook your the fact your degree says physics instead of engineering.

99% of job offers with the word "engineer" over at usajobs, monster and individual company websites that I thought a physics BSc might have a chance at (telecom/RF and optics companies) don't invite for anyone with science degrees to apply. You should still try applying to things you feel somewhat confident about even if they're meant for engineers though, an online application and modding your CV for the job only takes 5-10 minutes.

A sibling of mine with contacts in the telecom industry is forwarding my resume all over the place without much success so far. If you don't know a specific work-relevant techniques like "power engineering" it is hard to convince a business you can do the job, much less make it through the resume filters on online applications.

If you're a US citizen, look into the Dept of Defense and Dept of Energy jobs(national labs), defense contractors(Boeing, Raytheon, etc.), government institutions (NASA, environmental and meteorological agencies), and 3rd party environmental consultants.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't spend any money on certifications from random institutions unless it's something that is truly "official", recognized and transferable, like a reactor operator license, license to operate heavy machinery/vehicles, security clearance for government jobs, etc.

Last edited:
Arjani said:
That's why I was looking at engineering work, since I figured I might be able to do that without an additional months/years worth of training before I can even to start to apply.

You didn't mention whether you had any other skills I listed - sample preparation, SEM/TEM operation, lab management, etc.

If you don't, the odds of getting an engineering job are pretty slim. You simply don't have much to offer an employer. It's not impossible (I did, after all), but you need to have several other plans you're working on at the same time.

There's probably a handful of ways you can get into various careers unrelated to physics. However, referring to the title of this thread, I'm pretty sure the only way you'll make your BS more marketable is to add an MS after it, and ensure you learn some marketable skills while in grad school.

Devils said:
... FE is good...

No engineering degree from an ABET school, no ability to take the FE...

I'm facing the same dilemma as the OP. I graduate this May; however, I chose to take a break between undergrad and grad. So it seems like I would be entering the lackluster job search armed with only a B.S. in Physics.

I ended up choosing the certification route due to its potential cost to benefit ratio. However I've been studying for the GRE all semester and will be taking the exam this summer in case my job search doesn't pan out

silverct9a said:
I'm facing the same dilemma as the OP. I graduate this May; however, I chose to take a break between undergrad and grad. So it seems like I would be entering the lackluster job search armed with only a B.S. in Physics.

I ended up choosing the certification route due to its potential cost to benefit ratio. However I've been studying for the GRE all semester and will be taking the exam this summer in case my job search doesn't pan out

What kind of certification did you get?

CompTIA A+. I plan on gettingn the network+ shortly maybe within 6 months and eventually the security+. When I first started, I thought was I was taking a step backwards versus my graduating class who were so gung ho about physics grad school; however, facing the reality that most will never attain professorship, the need to acquire "marketable" skills becomes important.

Related to What can I do to make my physics bachelor more marketable?

1. What types of internships or research experiences should I pursue during my undergraduate studies?

Internships and research experiences in physics-related fields, such as engineering, data analysis, or research labs, can greatly enhance your marketability. Look for opportunities that allow you to apply your physics knowledge in practical settings and gain hands-on experience.

2. Are there certain skills or courses that I should focus on to make my physics degree more valuable?

In addition to core physics courses, it can be beneficial to take courses in computer programming, statistics, and data analysis. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can complement your physics background.

3. Is it important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts in order to stand out as a physics graduate?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for a physics degree, it is not the only skill that is valued in the job market. Employers also look for critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which can be developed through various coursework and experiences.

4. How can I demonstrate my knowledge and skills to potential employers?

One way to showcase your skills is by participating in physics competitions, presenting at conferences, or publishing research papers. These experiences not only demonstrate your expertise in the field, but also show your dedication and passion for physics.

5. Are there any professional organizations or networking opportunities that can help me in my career as a physics graduate?

Joining professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society, can provide valuable networking opportunities and access to job listings. Attending conferences and workshops can also help you connect with professionals in your desired field and learn about job opportunities.