What determines the charge of a field?

In summary: The parameter in the transformation is the phase, not the charge.The parameter in the transformation is the phase, not the charge.
carllacan
I understand what we classically know as the charge of a particle is actually the parameter of the local phase symmetry of the field the particle belongs to, the Noether current of which permits its coupling to the electromagnetic field. But when a field has phase symmetry it is symmetric under any phase transformation ψ → ψe, not just the one with a specific α as parameter.

So why is it that fields just couple with the current corresponding to one charge? Would it be possible for the Dirac field to couple to the electromagnetic field or to the scalar field with a coupling constant other than e?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge is given by the coupling constant in the Lagrangian. It appears in the local gauge transformation at some place too, but it's not the parameter in the gauge transformation that determines the coupling constant.

vanhees71 said:
The charge is given by the coupling constant in the Lagrangian. It appears in the local gauge transformation at some place too, but it's not the parameter in the gauge transformation that determines the coupling constant.

Then there's some detail I misunderstood. To me the local phase symmetry ψ → ψeiq gives rise to a conserved current eψ*γ0γμ ψ, and when we use that current to couple the Dirac field to the EM field the parameter e plays the role of coupling constant. Did I get that wrong?

No, it's all right. You introduce the coupling constant in the principle of minimal substitution ##\partial_{\mu} \rightarrow \partial_{\mu} + i g A_{\mu}^a T^a## to make the so far only global symmetry local.

vanhees71 said:
No, it's all right. You introduce the coupling constant in the principle of minimal substitution ##\partial_{\mu} \rightarrow \partial_{\mu} + i g A_{\mu}^a T^a## to make the so far only global symmetry local.

Ok, so the parameter of the transformation doesn't end up bein the coupling constant then?

Right!

Related to What determines the charge of a field?

1. What is the definition of charge in a field?

The charge of a field is a measure of the strength of an electric or magnetic field at a specific point. It is a property of the field that determines the force exerted on a charged particle placed in the field.

2. How is the charge of a field determined?

The charge of a field is determined by the distribution and magnitude of electric charges within the field. The closer the charges are to each other, the stronger the field and the higher the charge. In mathematical terms, the charge of a field is represented by the electric field strength, which is calculated using the Coulomb's law equation.

3. Can the charge of a field be negative?

Yes, the charge of a field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the force exerted on a negatively charged particle placed in the field. A negative charge indicates that the force is attractive, while a positive charge indicates a repulsive force.

4. What factors can affect the charge of a field?

The charge of a field can be affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the presence of other charged particles nearby. Additionally, the type of material the field is passing through can also affect its charge, as some materials can resist or block the flow of electric fields.

5. How is the charge of a field related to the concept of electric potential?

The charge of a field is directly related to the concept of electric potential. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. The charge of the field determines the magnitude of the electric potential, with higher charges resulting in higher potential energies and vice versa.