What do I need to know to understand Uniform convergence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniform and pointwise convergence in relation to the function of Weierstrass. It is suggested to study a reference on topology to fully understand these concepts, but an introductory analysis book is also recommended. The importance of understanding the "epsilon-definition" and the use of logical quantifiers is emphasized, as they are key to many mathematical concepts.
MAGNIBORO
Hi, I started to study the function of Weierstrass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_function)
And in one part says that the sum of continuous functions is a continuous function.
i understand this but the Limiting case is a different history depend of the convergence, so what i need to know to self-study properly the uniform convergence, pointwise convergence, etc?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey MAGNIBORO.

Get an introductory book on topology that is self-contained [they tell you this sort of thing in the preface and/or initial chapters].

Real analysis requires a proper undergraduate sequence to have the intuition before you go into all the formalities.

Likes MAGNIBORO
chiro said:
Hey MAGNIBORO.

Get an introductory book on topology that is self-contained [they tell you this sort of thing in the preface and/or initial chapters].

Real analysis requires a proper undergraduate sequence to have the intuition before you go into all the formalities.
ok thanks , I will have to continue studying the theme

You need to study a reference to be precise, but here is a rough description:

Absolute[CORRECTION: Uniform]: For any difference you specify, no matter how small (say ε=0.001), there is an integer N (say 1000), where for all i≥N, |fi(x) - f(x)| < ε for all x
Pointwise: Given an x, for any difference you specify, no matter how small (say ε=0.001), there is an integer N (say 1000), where for all i≥N, |fi(x) - f(x)| < ε for that particular x

You can see that pointwise convergence is much weaker than absolute[correction: uniform]. In fact, if the series is only pointwise convergent, where may be no time where the series[correction: sequence] gets close to the limit at every value of x. The series fi(x) = x1/n is only pointwise convergent to f(x) ≡ 1.0 on R-{0}. You can always find x large enough to get keep fi far from 1.0.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
You need to study a reference to be precise, but here is a rough description:

Absolute: For any difference you specify, no matter how small (say ε=0.001), there is an integer N (say 1000), where for all i≥N, |fi(x) - f(x)| < ε for all x
Pointwise: Given an x, for any difference you specify, no matter how small (say ε=0.001), there is an integer N (say 1000), where for all i≥N, |fi(x) - f(x)| < ε for that particular x

You can see that pointwise convergence is much weaker than absolute. In fact, if the series is only pointwise convergent, where may be no time where the series gets close to the limit at every value of x. The series fi(x) = x1/n is only pointwise convergent to f(x) ≡ 1.0 on R. You can always find x large enough to get keep fi far from 1.0.
While the essence of what you say is correct, I have three remarks.

1. Absolute convergence is not the same as uniform convergence. (The former talks about series. The latter talks about sequences or series, where in the second case the series is interpreted as a sequence of partial sums.)

2. The ##f_i## in your example constitute a sequence on ##\mathbb{R}##, not a series.

3. This sequence does not converge to ##1## at ##x = 0##.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Krylov said:
While the essence of what you say is correct, I have three remarks.

1. Absolute convergence is not the same as uniform convergence. (The former talks about series. The latter talks about sequences or series, where in the second case the series is interpreted as a sequence of partial sums.)

2. The ##f_i## in your example constitute a sequence on ##\mathbb{R}##, not a series.

3. This sequence does not converge to ##1## at ##x = 0##.
I stand corrected. Thanks. I got sloppy. I should not try to answer these while watching a football game.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Thank you all for your comments, For these I understood the epsilon definition like make the difference or error between |fi(x) - f(x)| Arbitrarily small
I need to study more the epsilon definition and the sup and inf limits.
Many times i saw them And I guess As it seems is the key to many things in math

MAGNIBORO said:
Thank you all for your comments, For these I understood the epsilon definition like make the difference or error between |fi(x) - f(x)| Arbitrarily small
I need to study more the epsilon definition and the sup and inf limits.
Many times i saw them And I guess As it seems is the key to many things in math
My recommendation would be that you get a good introductory analysis book, such as Introduction to Real Analysis (4th edition) by Bartle and Sherbert. Pointwise and uniform convergence of sequences of functions is discussed in Section 8.1 there. (Indeed, this requires you to work through more foundational material first, but that need not be a bad thing.)

I would not start by reading a topology book, although some topology books (particularly those discussing function spaces) will address uniform convergence as well. (Bartle and Sherbert give a glimpse of topology in the final Chapter 11 of their book.) In my opinion, it is more natural to first understand the analytical definitions and then see how some of their implications can in turn be taken as defining properties in a topological context.

Related to What do I need to know to understand Uniform convergence?

1. What is Uniform Convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions. It means that the functions in the sequence approach the same limit function at the same rate, regardless of the input value. In simpler terms, it means that the functions get closer and closer to each other as the input value increases.

2. How is Uniform Convergence different from Pointwise Convergence?

The main difference between Uniform Convergence and Pointwise Convergence is that in Uniform Convergence, the rate at which the functions in the sequence approach the limit function is the same for all input values. In Pointwise Convergence, the rate may vary for different input values.

3. What are the conditions for Uniform Convergence?

The conditions for Uniform Convergence are that the sequence of functions must converge pointwise to a limit function, and the rate of convergence must be independent of the input value. This means that as the input value increases, the functions in the sequence must approach the same limit function at the same rate.

4. Why is Uniform Convergence important in mathematics and science?

Uniform Convergence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make stronger conclusions about the behavior of a sequence of functions. It is a more powerful type of convergence than Pointwise Convergence and is often used in the analysis of series and integrals. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. What are some examples of Uniformly Convergent sequences of functions?

One example of a Uniformly Convergent sequence of functions is the sequence of functions f_n(x) = nx/(1+nx), defined on the interval [0,1]. Another example is the sequence of functions g_n(x) = x^n, defined on the interval [0,1]. Both of these sequences converge uniformly to the limit function f(x) = 0 on the given interval.