What does Solve for the time dependence of mean?

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the time dependence of x(t) given the Hamiltonian, and is having difficulty understanding what is meant by "Solve for the time dependence of x(t)".
wotanub
What does "Solve for the time dependence of" mean?

Homework Statement

Use the Heisenberg equation of motion to solve for the time dependence of [itex]x(t)[/itex] given the Hamiltonian

[itex]H = \frac{p^{2}(t)}{2m} + mgx(t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Heisenberg equation of motion is
[itex]\frac{dA(t)}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}\left[H,A(t)\right][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not sure what is meant by "Solve for the time dependence of [itex]x(t)[/itex]". Do they just want [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex]?

I already have a value for that. [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt} = \frac{\hbar}{im}\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

I think it means x(t) for all t.

That's how I would interpret it too.

Please explain. I'm sure x(t) = x in real space. What do I need a Hamiltonian and such for?

wotanub said:
Please explain. I'm sure x(t) = x in real space.
?? What do you mean by "x(t)= x"??

HallsofIvy said:
?? What do you mean by "x(t)= x"??

[itex]\hat{x}(t)\left|ψ\right\rangle = x\left|ψ\right\rangle[/itex]

As in, the time dependent position operator's eigenfunction is [itex]x[/itex]

wotanub said:
What do I need a Hamiltonian and such for?
You clearly won't be able to use Heisenberg's equation without it.

wotanub said:
[itex]\hat{x}(t)\left|ψ\right\rangle = x\left|ψ\right\rangle[/itex]

As in, the time dependent position operator's eigenfunction is [itex]x[/itex]

This still doesn't make sense. If anything in this equation should be called "eigenfunction", it's |ψ>, not x. (The terms "eigenvector" and "eigenket" are more common when the ket notation is used). And if this equality would hold, then ##\hat x## would be a constant function, since the right-hand side is independent of t.

Last edited:

In the Heisenberg picture, it is the operators that evolve with time. The equation of motion, which is an operator equation, can be solved for the time evolution of the operator x as a function of t. (Hope this helps, it's been years since I last looked at QM problems)

Related to What does Solve for the time dependence of mean?

What does "Solve for the time dependence of" mean?

"Solve for the time dependence of" refers to finding a mathematical expression or equation that describes how a particular quantity changes over time. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to understand the dynamics of systems.

Why is it important to solve for the time dependence of a system?

Understanding the time dependence of a system allows scientists to make predictions about its behavior in the future. It also helps to identify any patterns or trends in the data, providing valuable insights into the underlying mechanisms of the system.

What factors can affect the time dependence of a system?

The time dependence of a system can be influenced by various factors, such as external forces, initial conditions, and the nature of the system itself. For example, in a chemical reaction, the rate at which the reaction proceeds is dependent on factors like temperature and concentration of reactants.

How do scientists solve for the time dependence of a system?

There are different methods for solving for the time dependence of a system, depending on the specific problem and the type of data available. Some common approaches include using differential equations, mathematical models, and computer simulations.

Can the time dependence of a system be accurately predicted?

While scientists can make reasonable predictions about the time dependence of a system based on current data and understanding, it is not always possible to accurately predict the behavior of complex systems. Uncertainties and unexpected events can also impact the accuracy of predictions.