What does the future hold for engineering careers?

In summary, electrical engineering has a bright future, while agricultural engineering has a less promising outlook.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Hello again PF community.

Id like to hear your thoughts regarding the future of engineering fields and where you think we will be in 5, 10, 15 years from now. As an engineering major I don't really know which i'd like to do - Civil Engineering would seem useful if I wanted to build my own house someday, Mechanical if I wanted to build myself an airplane or a car, Chemical if I wanted to feed the hungry children and give them cheap medicine in third world countries, and so on.

What do you think the trends are pertaining to the career growth in either of those fields? How secure would today's engineering students be as far as their jobs are concerned and what are the new possible emerging fields? If there were new emerging opportunies it would make sense to start preparing for them while the mind is still young?

Any advise would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the outlook is bright for all engineers, but from what I've heard from current engineers is it's not looking good. I'm going into either Electrical or Chemical Eng. next year so I'm also interested in what others have to say.

Electrical engineering probably has the best outlook for the future for one big reason. And that is, electricity will not be replaced as our energy for a very, very long time. So there will always be use for electrical engineers throughout the world.

The discipline with the worst outlook for the future has to be for agricultrual engineers. Over the past hundreds of years, most countries have either 1) shy'd away from agriculture; or 2) already have the jobs for agricultural engineers filled up (annual growth rate is very low).

Other than the 2 disciplines I just mentioned, engineering is still a great field to get into regardless of your chosen discipline. Bottom line, except for agricultural engineers, the future for all engineers is very bright.

http://online.onetcenter.org/crosswalk_search

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What does the future hold for engineering careers?

1. What new technologies can we expect to see in the future of engineering?

In the future of engineering, we can expect to see advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence, biotechnology, renewable energy, and nanotechnology. These technologies have the potential to greatly improve our daily lives and solve complex problems.

2. How will the future of engineering impact our environment?

The future of engineering will have a significant impact on our environment. With the development of sustainable and renewable energy sources, as well as advancements in clean technology, we can expect to see a decrease in pollution and a more environmentally-friendly approach to engineering projects.

3. Will robots and automation replace human engineers in the future?

While robots and automation will certainly play a larger role in engineering in the future, it is unlikely that they will completely replace human engineers. The creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills of humans are still essential in the field of engineering.

4. How will the future of engineering affect job opportunities?

The future of engineering will create new job opportunities in emerging fields such as artificial intelligence and biotechnology. However, it may also lead to the automation of certain tasks, potentially reducing the need for certain jobs. It is important for engineers to continue adapting and learning new skills to stay competitive in the job market.

5. What role will sustainability play in the future of engineering?

Sustainability will play a crucial role in the future of engineering. With the growing concerns about climate change and the depletion of natural resources, engineers will need to prioritize sustainable practices in their projects. This includes using renewable energy sources, designing eco-friendly buildings and infrastructure, and finding ways to reduce waste and emissions.