What does this equation mean? [Exponentials]

• Thread starter Cee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation is about finding two exponential functions, one by hand and one with technology. The function found using Graphmatica is y = exp(0.0211x - 28.95), which represents e to the power of 0.0211x - 28.95. The speaker is unsure if this is in the correct form and asks if it can be changed to y= a*b^x. The other person suggests using exponential algebra to convert it, using the properties a^(x + y) = a^x * a^y and y = e ^ ( a * b ) = ( e ^ a )
Cee
So I'm trying to come up with 2 exponential function for a question, one we do by hand and one with technology. So on graphmatica, it came up with: y = exp(0.0211x - 28.95) which I have no idea what it means.

I thought the equation was supposed to be in y= a*b^x
Is it possible to change it to the y= a*b^x form?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes recall your exponential algebra a^(x + y) = a^x * a^y

And

y = e ^ ( a * b ) = ( e ^ a ) ^ b

With these you should easily be able to convert it.

Cee said:
So I'm trying to come up with 2 exponential function for a question, one we do by hand and one with technology. So on graphmatica, it came up with: y = exp(0.0211x - 28.95) which I have no idea what it means.

I thought the equation was supposed to be in y= a*b^x
Is it possible to change it to the y= a*b^x form?
"exp" means e to some power. Are you familiar with the number e, which is about 2.718?

exp(0.0211x - 28.95) means e0.0211x - 28.95

Related to What does this equation mean? [Exponentials]

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression in the form of y = abx, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. The variable x is typically an exponent, which means the value of x increases or decreases at a constant rate.

2. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms or take the natural logarithm of both sides. This will allow you to isolate the variable x and solve for its value. You can also use the laws of exponents, such as multiplying or dividing both sides by the same power of the base, to simplify the equation.

3. What does the base represent in an exponential equation?

The base in an exponential equation represents the factor that is multiplied by itself x number of times. For example, in the equation y = 2x, the base 2 is multiplied by itself x number of times. The base is what determines the shape of the exponential curve.

4. What does the exponent represent in an exponential equation?

The exponent in an exponential equation represents the number of times the base is multiplied by itself. It can also be thought of as the power to which the base is raised. The exponent is what determines the steepness or rate of change of the exponential curve.

5. How are exponential equations used in real life?

Exponential equations are used to model situations that involve growth or decay over time. They are commonly used in finance, biology, physics, and other fields to predict population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and more. They are also used to analyze data and make predictions based on patterns of growth or decay.