What drives my passion for theoretical physics and mathematics?

In summary, my passion for theoretical physics and mathematics is driven by the desire to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. I am fascinated by the complexity and beauty of these subjects and the potential they have to explain and predict the behavior of our world. The challenge of solving complex problems and the satisfaction of discovering new insights and connections are what motivates me to continue exploring these fields. Additionally, I am drawn to the collaborative nature of theoretical physics and mathematics, where ideas are constantly shared and built upon, leading to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements. Overall, my passion for these subjects stems from a deep curiosity and appreciation for the intricacies of the universe and the endless possibilities they hold.
mtv65
How did you find PF?
Google Search
Hello all!

Here is a brief description of myself.

In 2015, I completed my Ph.D. in theoretical physics at NYU and subsequently spent two years as a postdoc researcher at YU. My research was on many-body quantum systems out of equilibrium, a subject that permeates multiple fields, including cosmology, statistical mechanics, condensed matter, and quantum information. Boosted by substantial progress in experimental methods, non-equilibrium physics has recently become the subject of intensive research.

A couple of years ago, working part-time as an independent researcher, my interests have shifted. I have developed a comprehensive program of study to assimilate the most relevant recent achievements in mathematical physics. My plan is to help push physics forward, searching for new truths about the workings of Nature. The quote below by the great composer Franz Liszt (about the piano) aptly describes my feelings towards physics and mathematics:

"My piano is to me [...] the intimate personal depository of everything that stirred wildly in my brain during the most impassioned days of my youth. It was there that all my wishes, all my dreams, all my joys, and all my sorrows lay."

I am also fond of the following remark by Paul Dirac, one of the founders of quantum mechanics:

"If you are receptive and humble, mathematics will lead you by the hand. Again and again, when I have been at a loss how to proceed, I have just had to wait until I have felt the mathematics led me by the hand. It has led me along an unexpected path, a path where new vistas open up, a path leading to new territory, where one can set up a base of operations, from which one can survey the surroundings and plan future progress."

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes etotheipi, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. It's good to have you here. :smile:

Thanks!