What Field Do These This Fall Under

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Field
In summary, Fly-by-wire control systems of aircraft/spacecraft fall under the domain of Mechanical Engineering or its subspecialty, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering. While Computer Science/Mathematics may develop the algorithms for integration, the ultimate responsibility lies with MechE. As for the question of GPS, it is integrated into the system through various means, including the use of computers and satellite communication systems, which fall under the sub-disciplines of Electrical Engineering.
Stratosphere
A friend of mine ask me what field of science Fly-by-wire control systems of aircraft/space craft falls under. I really didn't know this my self so it made me curious. He also said something about the computers in cars, and GPS.

What are they under, computer science, engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical Engineering or its subspecialty, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering

Although you could argue that Computer Science/Mathematics may develop the algorithms to integrate the Fly-by-Wire with GPS, sensors and other controlls or weapons systems, it is still ultimately the MechE's domain.

cronxeh said:
Mechanical Engineering or its subspecialty, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering

Although you could argue that Computer Science/Mathematics may develop the algorithms to integrate the Fly-by-Wire with GPS, sensors and other controlls or weapons systems, it is still ultimately the MechE's domain.

Ah, I see how mechanical engineering takes care of the aircraft and car question but I don't quite see how GPS is mechanical engineering.

That makes me wonder, who builds computers and satellite computers? Electrical Engineers?

Last edited:
Well GPS is part of the system, its integrated by whatever means you chose the system to be designed, I am guessing either you have a computer with I/O DAQ for the Fly-by-Wire and serial or USB or Blutooth GPS input. The more advanced and old-school people may have TTL or something else going into their system. Then you have to worry about shielding from EMP if its a fighter jet, interference it may cause to other electronics, mechanical tests to see if the system can withstand the environmental stresses of temperature, humidity, pressure, electromagnetic interference, any possible short circuits that could ignite the wiring, any overload issues, etc.

I'm sure a MechE could find something to spend time looking into.

I'm not familiar with satellite computers. If you are referring to satellite communication systems then that's Electrical Engineering. If you are referring to motherboards, firmware writing, and peripheral accessories for computers, then that's still EE or Computer Engineering. Its mostly all EE for the hardware, and Computer Science for the software.

Related to What Field Do These This Fall Under

What Field Do These This Fall Under?

The field that these things fall under would depend on what specific things you are referring to. Can you provide more context or details?

What is the definition of "field" in science?

In science, a field refers to a specific area of study or research that is defined by its subject matter, methodology, and techniques.

How do scientists determine what field a particular topic falls under?

Scientists typically determine what field a topic falls under by examining its subject matter, research methods, and the existing body of knowledge and literature in that particular area of study.

What are some common fields in science?

Some common fields in science include biology, chemistry, physics, geology, ecology, psychology, and neuroscience. There are also numerous interdisciplinary fields that combine multiple areas of study.

Why is it important to categorize scientific topics into different fields?

Categorizing scientific topics into different fields allows for more efficient and focused research, promotes collaboration and exchange of ideas among scientists in the same field, and helps to organize and communicate scientific knowledge and discoveries to a wider audience.