What fields have the hardest papers to read?

In summary, the conversation discusses the readability of different fields in astronomy and mentions topics such as digital signal processing, radiation hydrodynamics, orbit potential theory, general relativity, Bayesian statistics, quantum gravity, string theory, the holographic principle, neutron star E.O.S, superfluidity, stellar hydrodynamics, and sales and marketing. The speakers share their experiences with understanding papers in these fields and express their curiosity about finding a field where they can understand the papers.
Simfish
Gold Member
So, I've just come across some of Tegmark's cosmology papers, and they're surprisingly readable.

It seems that most astronomy papers are quite readable, assuming that your background includes digital signal processing. In fact, they're far more readable than most of the old graduate school astro textbooks (which cover topics like radiation hydrodynamics or orbit potential theory). Somehow, these obscure topics aren't the hottest part of astro research today.

I'm pretty sure that general relativity is the hardest field. But are there any other fields whose papers are hard to read? I do have to improve my Bayesian statistics knowledge, of course, but the Bayesian statistics in most astro papers isn't that deep.

I'm curious, since I want to know how much farther I have to go.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To name a few:
Quantum Gravity.
String theory or QFT in curved space-times.
The Holographic Principle.
Neutron Star E.O.S., superfluidity, quark-degenerate matter, etc.

zhermes said:
To name a few:
Quantum Gravity.

PFF, that one's easy. Assume what they're talking about is BS and it's a lot easier to read :biggrin:

zhermes said:
To name a few:
Quantum Gravity.

Accretion induced collapse{ I was lost while reading through the paper though I managed to pick up few main points)

I'd have trouble with Russian Literature. (Then again, I don't speak Russian)

Stellar hydrodynamics is great fun if brain injury is not an issue..

I'm still trying to find a field where I can understand any of the papers.

Pengwuino said:
I'm still trying to find a field where I can understand any of the papers.

then that would be sales & marketing where the goal is to dumb things down to sell to the masses

Related to What fields have the hardest papers to read?

1. What makes a paper difficult to read?

There are several factors that can make a paper difficult to read, including technical jargon, complex equations or diagrams, and dense or convoluted writing style.

2. Which fields tend to have the most challenging papers to read?

This can vary depending on individual expertise and background knowledge, but generally fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science tend to have more complex and technical papers.

3. Are there certain journals or publications known for having difficult papers?

Yes, some academic journals are known for publishing highly specialized and technical papers, making them more challenging for readers outside of that specific field.

4. How can I improve my ability to read and understand difficult papers?

One approach is to start by familiarizing yourself with the basics of the subject matter and then gradually work your way up to more complex papers. It can also be helpful to break down the paper into smaller sections and take breaks to process the information.

5. Are there any strategies for making difficult papers easier to read?

Some strategies include reading the abstract and introduction first, looking up unfamiliar terms or concepts, and discussing the paper with colleagues or experts in the field. Additionally, taking notes and summarizing key points can aid in understanding the material.