What i do wrong(find the current)

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the electric circuit has four circles that represent currents. The currents in R3 are affected by the currents in a, b, c, and d circles. The current in R3 is the sum of the currents in a, b, c, and d circles.
omni
in the picture you can see the electric circuit.
i asked to find the current in R3.

i mark 4 circle (a b c d)
and i got the 4 equations (shown in blue color).

in equation C, i not sure if is equal to 100 or to 0, but i tried with both of them.

after i found this equations i used this calculator:http://wims.unice.fr/wims/wims.cgi?session=YCB515D978.2&+lang=en&+module=tool/linear/linsolver.en

to get the 4 variable.
but for some reason i am not get the correct answer is should be 6.666A.
what i do wrong?

thanks.

Attachments

• 9MGyI.jpg
    9MGyI.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
For loop C there is a 100V source there, so your equation should = 100.

Otherwise the equations appear to be okay. What values do you get for the mesh currents?

well the values i get for the mesh currents is: a=-10/3, b=-70/3, c=10/3, d=-100/3
so i know i need to change direction for a,and b circles.

the current in R3 are affected from the currents a,b,c ? i get the correct answer that should be 6.666A, only if i take a and c and addition them together.

what do you think?
thanks.

omni said:
well the values i get for the mesh currents is: a=-10/3, b=-70/3, c=10/3, d=-100/3
so i know i need to change direction for a,and b circles.

the current in R3 are affected from the currents a,b,c ? i get the correct answer that should be 6.666A, only if i take a and c and addition them together.

what do you think?
thanks.

The currents that you found are correct. They correspond to the mesh currents as you've drawn them (meaning that negative values imply that the mesh current is actually flowing in the opposite direction to the assumed direction. But that's fine! Leave the circuit drawing alone and just keep the negative values -- they are fine together.

When you wrote the mesh current equations you had terms in each of them that represented the currents from other meshes that flowed in shared components. That's how, for example, terms -10b, -10c, and 0d appeared in the equation for the first mesh. What this means is that TWO mesh currents can flow in shared components, and the net current in that component is then the sum of those two currents.

For R3, mesh current A flows down through it and mesh current C flows up through it. So the total flowing in the downward direction (if that's what you want) is I = a - c. Your values of a and c are -10/3 and 10/3 amps respectively. So I = -10/3 - 10/3 = -20/3. The negative sign indicates that the "real" net current flows upwards through R3.

again you make it clear to understand.

i really appreciate your help :)

omni said:
again you make it clear to understand.

i really appreciate your help :)

And I'm happy to help! Cheers!

Related to What i do wrong(find the current)

1. What is the purpose of finding the current in a scientific experiment?

Finding the current allows us to measure the flow of electric charge through a circuit, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of electricity and designing electrical devices.

2. How do you find the current in a circuit?

To find the current, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and resistance in the circuit and then use Ohm's law (I=V/R) to calculate the current. Alternatively, you can use an ammeter, which directly measures the current in a circuit.

3. What are the units of current?

The standard unit of current is the ampere (A), which is defined as the flow of one coulomb of charge per second. In practical terms, this is equivalent to the flow of electrons through a circuit.

4. Why is it important to find the current accurately?

Finding the current accurately is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in scientific experiments and engineering designs.

5. Can the current in a circuit change over time?

Yes, the current in a circuit can change over time. In fact, this is often the case in real-world circuits as the resistance, voltage, and other factors can vary. This is why it's important to measure the current at different points in a circuit to get a more complete understanding of its behavior.