What is Deformation Theory and How Does it Apply to Mathematical-Physics?

• Thread starter ricardokl
  • Start date
In summary, deformation theory is a mathematical framework used to study how geometric objects can change and deform smoothly while preserving certain structures. It is particularly useful in mathematical physics, where it is applied to understand the behavior of physical systems and their underlying symmetries. By examining how a system can deform while maintaining certain properties, deformation theory helps researchers understand the underlying principles and laws governing the behavior of physical systems. This allows for a deeper understanding of complex physical phenomena and can lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of mathematical physics.
ricardokl
Hi!

I'm a physics teacher from Brasil, sorry for any bad english. I have both a teaching degree and a bachelors one, they are different here. Then I decided to go to research and gave up teaching, took a masters degree, a doctorate, and a post-doc abroad (Vienna, Austria). I work with mathematical-physics - deformations and non-commutative spaces.

Getting back home, I ended up in a school connected to the local university, going back to teaching. The school is an "application school", and I'm still trying to understand what that means. One thing is for sure, the students that want to become teachers have to spend some time at the school.

I have a lot getting used to. Because of my research I'm extra abstract now (always was a bit), and my students are not, I need to connect to reality more. Also, my class is usually lecture-type, so I need to learn some new approaches, since I keep loosing the attention from most of them.

Thats it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Deformation theory in the sense of Rieffel (analysis and C*-algebras), or in the sense of algebraic geometry, like in the work of Kontsevich?