What is Elm and Why Should Computer Scientists Care?

• Thread starter ing_it
  • Start date
In summary, Elm is a functional programming language that compiles to JavaScript and is primarily used for building web applications. It is known for its focus on reliability, maintainability, and high-quality user interfaces. Computer scientists should care about Elm because it offers strong type safety, easy debugging, and an organized architecture, making it a powerful tool for developing complex and scalable web applications. Additionally, its emphasis on functional programming principles can help improve code quality and reduce the likelihood of errors. Overall, Elm is a valuable language for computer scientists looking to create robust and dependable web applications.
ing_it
Hey everyone, so I'm new here. I'm studying Computer Science, it's my first year and I'm an undergrad.
I signed up because this forum keeps on showing up when I search for things so it just seemed logical to be able to contribute (and to ask questions haha)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What are your interests in Comp Sci?

I've been looking at the Elm programming language. It's positioned to become the successor to Javascript for web applications. Its really cool.

Likes ing_it
Thanks!
Well, we're just starting out so we're just working with C++, C# and Java for now so right now I'm just into learning all I can. I might not be an expert yet, but I love solving problems and "thinking like a computer" (or at least that's how I call it in my mind. It makes me feel cool.) So it's a start!
I'll have to look into the Elm language, I've never heard of it before!

Likes jedishrfu
Here's an Elm video by its developer:

Pretty humorous too!

Likes ing_it