What is q and what is the charge (negative or positive)?

In summary, there are three identical point charges hanging from strings, each with a mass of 0.10kg and charge q. The lengths of the left and right strings are 30.0cm and the angle between them is 45.0 degrees. To find q, we need to draw a free body diagram for one of the side masses and consider the forces acting on it. The sign of q does not affect the calculation.
SkyHawkProfessor
HW one Physics 2.jpg

Three identical point charges, each of mass m 0.10kg and charge q, hang from three

strings, as pictured below. The lengths of the left and right strings are L 30.0cm

and the angle is 45.0o.

Just on looking at the picture I think the charge is positive since there is tension separation the three masses. I'm confused on how to get q. Should I be looking at the space separating the masses on the x-axis? or be more focused on gravity's role?

Physics news on Phys.org
SkyHawkProfessor said:
View attachment 94523
Three identical point charges, each of mass m 0.10kg and charge q, hang from three

strings, as pictured below. The lengths of the left and right strings are L 30.0cm

and the angle is 45.0o.

Just on looking at the picture I think the charge is positive since there is tension separation the three masses. I'm confused on how to get q. Should I be looking at the space separating the masses on the x-axis? or be more focused on gravity's role?
Draw a free body diagram for one of the side masses and consider the forces acting on it.
It doesn't matter whether q is positive or negative. What matters is that the three charges are the same, including their signs.

Related to What is q and what is the charge (negative or positive)?

What is q and what is the charge (negative or positive)?

1. What does q represent in physics?
Q, or charge, is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy an object possesses. It is measured in units of coulombs (C).

2. Is charge the same as mass?
No, charge and mass are two separate properties of matter. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while charge is a measure of the amount of electrical energy an object possesses.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charge?
Positive charge refers to an excess of protons in an object, while negative charge refers to an excess of electrons. Objects with opposite charges will attract each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other.

4. Can an object have both positive and negative charge?
No, an object cannot have both positive and negative charge at the same time. However, an object can have both positive and negative charges in different parts of its structure.

5. How is charge related to electric fields?
Electric fields are created by charged particles and exert a force on other charged particles. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge present, and the direction of the electric field is determined by the type of charge (positive or negative).