What is Super Piping? ASME B&PV Code Section III Subsection NB

• Thread starter Muti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piping
In summary: That's why the pipe run between containment penetration and MSIV is called super pipe.The super pipe is created to protect the steam generator from a break in the piping. If there was a break in the piping, the pressure inside the steam generator would be too high and could damage the machinery. Additionally, the dynamic effects in the safety valve / MSIV room could occur.
Muti
The pipe portion from top of steam generator up to containment isolation valve once I heard is called super piping due to number of penetrations in the pipe for safety and relief valves. Is this term correct? Class 1 piping are constructed according to ASME B&PV code section iii, subsection NB. Can I found such terminology (and rules for construction) in subsection NB or somewhere else (if this terminology exist)?

I have heard the pipe run between the containment penetration and the main steam isolation valves called super pipe. My understanding was the pipe material certs and fabrication procedures and inspections were such that a pipe break need not be postulated in the section of pipe. I'm not real sure about this though. It seems to me that you could have a break downstream of the MSIV, with failure of MSIV to close as a single failure, and have the same effects as a break in the super pipe. So, what's the point of the super pipe? dynamic effects in the safety valve / MSIV room??

Maybe get more answers in the nuclear engineering section?

Thanks gmax so now I know at least this word is said sometimes but not a popular term. From you description it come to my mind piping from SG to MSIV is usually design for full primary pressure because of SGTR. May be due to this connection the pipe length you described might be called super pipe.

No, the steam piping design pressure matches the design of the SG secondary, typically 1000 to 1200 psi, depending on the plant.

gmax137 said:
No, the steam piping design pressure matches the design of the SG secondary, typically 1000 to 1200 psi, depending on the plant.
Thanks gmax, you are right. The pipe portion between containment penetration and MSIV is thickened and reinforced in design. Pipe portion up to MSIV is Class 2, while rest is non safety class.I was wrong in previous post because I forgot safety valves in SGTR case. Due to safety valves steam line pressure can not rise above design pressure of about 7.5 MPa.

Last edited:

Related to What is Super Piping? ASME B&PV Code Section III Subsection NB

What is Super Piping?

Super piping refers to high pressure piping systems that are designed and built to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures. These systems are commonly used in industrial and power plant applications.

What is ASME B&PV Code Section III Subsection NB?

ASME B&PV Code Section III Subsection NB is a section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. It specifically covers the design, fabrication, and inspection requirements for nuclear power plant components, including super piping.

What are the benefits of using Super Piping?

The use of Super Piping offers several benefits, including improved safety, increased reliability, and the ability to handle higher pressures and temperatures. It also allows for more efficient and cost-effective operation of industrial and power plant systems.

What materials are typically used in Super Piping?

Super Piping is typically made from high-strength alloys, such as stainless steel or nickel-based alloys. These materials have excellent mechanical properties and can withstand the extreme conditions found in high pressure and high temperature piping systems.

What are the design considerations for Super Piping?

The design of Super Piping must take into account factors such as operating temperature and pressure, material selection, compatibility with other system components, and potential stress and fatigue on the piping. It is important to follow industry standards and codes, such as ASME B&PV Code Section III Subsection NB, to ensure the safe and efficient operation of Super Piping systems.

Back