What is the best software for designing circuits?

In summary, Orcad10 is a software that is used for circuit design and simulation, while PSPICE is a software that is used for analog and digital design.
exequor
What software do you guys use to design circuits? I have OrCAD 10 which is good for design and simulation but it does not support exporting to more commonly used formats, such as *.gif, *.png, etc. Also I hate ms visio, and smart draw is mediocre. I just need an app just for drawing circuits.

Engineering news on Phys.org
is orcad 10 the same as PSPICE? If not then get PSPICE. I have the free versio n for student if u want it.

I use Multisim for all my circuit design and simulations. Sometimes I export it to ultiboard to see how it would look as a PCB.

david90 said:
is orcad 10 the same as PSPICE? If not then get PSPICE. I have the free versio n for student if u want it.
With the Cadence suite you get Capture, PSpice, PCB wiz, etc.

I was looking for a simple app that I could just use for design, mostly for logic circuits.

exequor said:
With the Cadence suite you get Capture, PSpice, PCB wiz, etc.
I was looking for a simple app that I could just use for design, mostly for logic circuits.
I think you can just get the schematic capture part of OrCAD, but maybe they don't offer that anymore? I'd recommend that you still use OrCAD for your schematics, if possible. It's pretty much the industry standard for many applications, so getting good with it is a plus in the job market. Also, with OrCAD you can do a Select, Copy, and then Paste into many other applications like Word, etc. Very handy for documentation.

We use OrCAD CIS for our schematics and BOMs, and we use MicroCAP for our analog simulations. Too bad there is not automated way to use the same schematic for both things. The PSPICE link might be working better now than it was several years ago with OrCAD, so that might be a good combo package for folks who do analog & digital designs. We use Xilinx tools for the FPGA designs using Verilog, and we use Leanardo for more ASIC-specific design simulations.

I've used a program called TinyCAD before, you can pick it up at sourceforge (for win) http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinycad its free, I don't do circuits or anything for any real use other than hobby , so I don't know if its very good or not. Actually... If anyone does get it I wouldn't mind knowing if it is a good program or not ...

Related to What is the best software for designing circuits?

1. What is software for circuit design?

Software for circuit design is a type of computer program that allows users to create electronic circuit designs. It includes features such as schematic capture, simulation, and layout tools to assist in the design process.

2. What are the benefits of using software for circuit design?

There are several benefits to using software for circuit design, including increased efficiency and accuracy in the design process, the ability to simulate and test circuits before physically building them, and access to a wide range of design tools and components.

3. What types of circuits can be designed using software for circuit design?

Software for circuit design can be used for a variety of circuit types, including analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuits. It can also be used for designing PCB layouts and creating 3D models of circuits.

4. How do I choose the right software for circuit design?

The right software for circuit design will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some factors to consider when choosing software include the type of circuits you will be designing, the level of complexity you require, and your budget. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs.

5. Is there a learning curve for using software for circuit design?

Like any new software, there may be a learning curve for using software for circuit design. However, many programs offer tutorials, online resources, and user communities to help users get started and improve their skills. With practice and familiarization, users can become proficient in using the software for their design needs.