What is the composition of the original gas mixture in mole percent?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physical chemistry problem involving a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen. The mixture is ignited and the water is removed, leaving behind pure hydrogen with a pressure of 0.4 atm at the same values of T and V as the original mixture. The question is asking for the composition of the original mixture in mole percent. The participants of the conversation use the equation PV=nRT, but since the volume is not given, they rearrange the equation to P/n=RT/V and set the initial and final states equal to each other. They also consider using a volume of 22.4 liters to help solve the problem.
Riles246
Physical Chemistry Problem!

The total pressure of a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen is 1 atm. The mixture is ignited and the water is removed. The remaining gas is pure hydrogen and exerts a pressure of 0.4 atm when measured at the same values of T and V as the original mixture. What was the composition of the original mixture in mole percent?

I started by using the equation P=nRT/V. Since the V, R and T are the same before and after the reaction I solved the equation for P/n = RT/V so the two equations (for before and after the reaction) could be set equal to each other. Then I got stuck! Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org

In this question you have a mixture of 2 gases at STP conditions. You remove all of one and some of the other in a ratio of 1:2. You are left with excess gas of only one component that has a certain pressure.

PV=nRT works if you know your volume. You will notice that you weren't given volume. You could use any volume and solve the problem but try using V=22.4 liters. It helps.

I don't need to use a volume since the problem states that the volume stays the same. I can set the initial and final states equal to each other by re-arranging the equation to RT/V=P/n. Then the P/n for the initial and final state of the mixtures should equal each other.

What do you think 'n' refers to in the initial state? In the final state?

Related to What is the composition of the original gas mixture in mole percent?

What is Physical Chemistry Problem?

Physical Chemistry Problem is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter. It combines principles of physics and chemistry to understand and explain the fundamental nature of chemical systems.

What are some common topics in Physical Chemistry?

Some common topics in Physical Chemistry include thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, kinetics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. These topics help scientists to understand the behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level.

Why is Physical Chemistry important?

Physical Chemistry is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter. This knowledge is crucial for the development of new materials, medicines, and technologies.

What are some real-world applications of Physical Chemistry?

Physical Chemistry has many real-world applications, including drug design, material synthesis, energy production, and environmental studies. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and nanotechnology.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physical Chemistry?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Physical Chemistry, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and theories. Practice solving different types of problems and seek help from textbooks, online resources, and professors if needed.