What is the connection between antimatter and dark matter?

In summary, anti-matter is not the same thing as dark matter. It is subject to gravity and has mass, not anti-mass. There is also no such thing as anti-gravity. Dark energy is also not the same thing as anti-gravity. The only known "types" of matter are normal matter and anti-matter, with dark matter being a potential third type that has not yet been verified. There is currently no evidence to suggest that any of these types of matter existed before the big bang. Dark matter is the first direct evidence of physics beyond the standard model, but we do not yet have enough information to fully understand it.
pibb
is antimatter the same thing as dark matter? is antigravity the same thing as dark energy?

Space news on Phys.org
Anti-matter isn't dark matter.

There is no such thing as anti-gravity.

Anti-matter is subject to gravity just like regular matter. It also has mass, not anti-mass.

You may want to read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Like Jared said, anti-matter is just like normal matter except it has opposite charge. And dark energy is not anti gravity. There is no such thing in the view of mainsteam physics.

Btw Jared, I love your sig.

thank you for the very quick replies. =]
i was wondering how many more categories(?) of matter are there? all the matter we can detect with our senses, antimatter, and also dark matter? are there anymore known to science that i am not aware of?

Drakkith said:
Btw Jared, I love your sig.

I know, great ain't it.

Still laugh when I read it. You can thank Mr Archosaur for it.

pibb said:
thank you for the very quick replies. =]
i was wondering how many more categories(?) of matter are there? all the matter we can detect with our senses, antimatter, and also dark matter? are there anymore known to science that i am not aware of?

Currently the only "types" of matter we have actually observed are normal matter and anti-matter. We have reasons for thinking there is something called dark matter, but we havn't been able to verify that yet.

were any of these "types" of matter already around before the big bang? or was it only afterward that we think they formed?

pibb said:
were any of these "types" of matter already around before the big bang? or was it only afterward that we think they formed?

For that I think you need to look up the Big Bang on wikipedia or something. It's kind of a complicated issue.

i couldn't find anything that mentions what might have happened before the big bang.
i was wondering if it was some sort of super collision.

pibb said:
i couldn't find anything that mentions what might have happened before the big bang.
i was wondering if it was some sort of super collision.

My personal view on it, was that the big bang might have been preceded by a big crunch of the"previous universe" if you will. Unfortunently the evidence of accelerating expansion doesn't support that. So who knows.

Negative mass, also called exotic matter, would have repulsive gravity. Though we have yet to discover/synthesize some of it.

FtlIsAwesome said:
Negative mass, also called exotic matter, would have repulsive gravity. Though we have yet to discover/synthesize some of it.

Maybe. But until we have some evidence of it there's no reason to bring it up.

pibb said:

We have no idea what happened before the big bang. In fact, current mainstream cosmology states that there is no such thing as "before the big bang". The big bang was the start of everything.

Drakkith said:
Currently the only "types" of matter we have actually observed are normal matter and anti-matter. We have reasons for thinking there is something called dark matter, but we havn't been able to verify that yet.

I think this is a little misleading. We "see" dark matter. We know it's there. We just don't know what it is (although of course maybe it ISN'T there and our observations are explainable by something like MOND).

pibb said:
This plot shows every particle we have ever seen in a lab:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.svg

Note that all of these particles have corresponding anti-particles (though the photon's anti-particle is itself).

Dark matter cannot be any of these particles, because dark matter cannot have electric charge, and the only particles with mass that have no electric charge in the standard model are neutrinos, and the neutrinos have masses too small for the neutrinos to collect around galaxies in sufficient quantities to explain the missing mass.

Thus dark matter is our first direct evidence of physics beyond the standard model. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us much, as all it says is that there is some other massive particle with no electric charge out there. We don't yet have enough information to nail it down much more than that.

Related to What is the connection between antimatter and dark matter?

1. What is the difference between antimatter and dark matter?

Antimatter is composed of particles with the same mass as their matter counterparts, but with opposite charges. Dark matter, on the other hand, is a type of matter that does not interact with light and can only be observed through its gravitational effects.

2. Can antimatter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, antimatter can be converted into energy through the process of annihilation. When an antimatter particle and its matter counterpart meet, they will annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

3. How is antimatter related to dark matter?

Antimatter and dark matter are completely different concepts. The only relation between them is that both have been theorized to exist in the universe, but dark matter has been observed through its effects on gravitational forces, while antimatter has been observed in particle accelerators.

4. Is there more antimatter or dark matter in the universe?

Currently, it is believed that there is more dark matter in the universe than antimatter. This is based on scientific observations of the effects of dark matter on the behavior of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. Can antimatter be used for space travel?

There is ongoing research on the potential use of antimatter for space travel, as it has a higher energy density compared to traditional rocket fuels. However, the production and storage of antimatter are currently very challenging and expensive, so it is not yet a practical option for space travel.