What is the corresponding UCS2 code?

• Thread starter Franco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary, the person was preparing for a computer science exam by doing past papers and came across some questions they didn't understand. They asked for help with understanding UTF8 and UCS2 codes, as well as determining the performance of a given method in terms of the parameter n. They also found some helpful links and questioned the correctness of an answer.
Franco
i was preparing for my compsci exam doing past papers
and encountered a few questions i don't get
can someone help me please?

The following bytes are encountered in a UTF8 stream. What is the corresponding UCS2 code? (Express your answer in hexadecimal)
23 E8 96 BC C2 8B

i don't know wat's UTF8 and UCS2, can't find it in my lecture notes

another question
Express the performance of the following methods using big-Oh notation in terms of the parameter n. Give reasons for your answers.

public void determineComplexity(int n) {
int add = 0;
if (n ==0)
add++
else{
determineComplexity(n/10);
}
}

for this one, is the answer equals
O(n/10)?
if n = 1000
it'll take 3 times before n == 0

Computer science news on Phys.org

The corresponding UCS2 code for the given UTF8 stream would be 0023 4E2C 000D 000B. UTF8 is a character encoding system that uses variable-length code units, while UCS2 is a fixed-length encoding system that uses two bytes to represent each character. In terms of performance, the determineComplexity method would have a time complexity of O(log n), as the input is divided by 10 in each recursive call, resulting in a logarithmic growth rate. Therefore, if n = 1000, it would take approximately 3 recursive calls before n == 0.

Related to What is the corresponding UCS2 code?

What is the corresponding UCS2 code?

The UCS2 code, or Universal Character Set 2, is a character encoding standard that assigns a unique numeric code to each character in the Unicode character set. This allows for the representation of a wide range of international characters and symbols in digital systems.

How is the UCS2 code different from other character encoding standards?

Unlike other character encoding standards, such as ASCII or UTF-8, UCS2 uses a fixed 16-bit code for each character. This means that every character is represented by the same number of bits, making it easier to process and manipulate in computer systems.

What is the purpose of the UCS2 code?

The purpose of the UCS2 code is to provide a universal standard for representing characters and symbols from all languages and writing systems. This allows for seamless communication and data exchange between different computer systems and software programs, regardless of the language being used.

How does the UCS2 code relate to Unicode?

UCS2 is a subset of the larger Unicode character set. It includes the first 65,536 characters in the Unicode character set, which are represented by 16-bit codes. This subset was created to support legacy systems that were not able to handle the full range of Unicode characters.

How can I convert text to UCS2 code?

There are various tools and programs available for converting text to UCS2 code. Some text editors and word processing software have built-in options for encoding text in UCS2. There are also online converters and programming libraries that can be used for this purpose. It is important to ensure that the correct encoding is selected to accurately convert the text to UCS2.