What is the Crushing Force of a Concrete Crusher?

In summary, the crushing force of a concrete crusher is determined by the force exerted by the cylinder on each lever and the moment about O of Fc*sin(\theta)*dc for each lever.
nofx1981
Hi guys,
I need to figure out the crushing force of a concrete crusher. Here's a pic to help illustrate:

CrackerQ.jpg

I have 2 questions:
1) Would the crushing force on the concrete be 2*Ft or only Ft
and
2) Would the force exerted by the cylinder on each jaw be Fc/2 or Fc as shown.

Thanks for you help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, nofx1981. Is this for a school assignment?

Think about action and reaction and Newtons First Law.
Also think about the principles of levers.

Last edited:
Hi, nofx1981. Is this for a school assignment?

No, this isn't for school. I've finished school a number of years ago.

Think about action and reaction and Newtons First Law.
Also think about the principles of levers.

Yes, I have been thinking of of Newton's 1st law and levers and such

My first thought was that the cylinder would exert only half of it's force on each lever and that the crushing force would be the sum of forces at the tips. But now I'm thinking that isn't right.

This is my new train of thought. So the cylinder exerts a force Fc=P*A at an angle of theta on each lever. So there is a moment about O of Fc*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])*dc for each lever. These moments will apply a force at the tip of each lever Ft=Fc*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])*dc/dt and this is your crushing force, right? Ft=Fcrush?

It's been a while since I've done this kind of stuff, would really just like some confirmation...

Thanks for the help!

This is my new train of thought. So the cylinder exerts a force Fc=P*A at an angle of theta on each lever. So there is a moment about O of Fc*sin()*dc for each lever. These moments will apply a force at the tip of each lever Ft=Fc*sin()*dc/dt and this is your crushing force, right? Ft=Fcrush?

This is correct. Otherwise the concrete block would fly off somewhere.
And you worked it out for yourself!

I note Google lists several patents on concrete crushing tongs.

Related to What is the Crushing Force of a Concrete Crusher?

What is force and how is it calculated?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. In equation form, it is written as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a specific type of force that is affected by gravity. It is the force that an object exerts on a surface due to the pull of gravity. Force, on the other hand, is a more general term that can describe any type of interaction between two objects.

How do I calculate net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. It is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force and motion are directly related. According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, force is necessary to cause a change in an object's motion.

What are some common units of force?

The most common units of force are the Newton (N) and the pound (lb). The Newton is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). The pound is a non-SI unit of force commonly used in the United States and is equal to 4.448 Newtons.