What is the Definition of a Conic in Complex Projective 2 Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a conic in complex projective 2 space. One person suggests defining it as a curve represented by a homogeneous degree two polynomial, while the other suggests defining it in a more geometric way. They also mention different textbooks that cover this topic, with one person recommending the textbook by Joe Harris.
Diophantus
I was just wondering what the more fundamental definition of a conic in complex projective 2 space is. Is it better to say that it is a curve such that the dehomogenisation of its defining equation is a represents a conic in R^2; OR simply a curve defined by a homogeneous degree two polynomial.

Or is it better to define it in a more geometric way?

I suppose this is all a matter of opinion really.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The second (homogeneous quadratic polynomial), I should think. Have you read the textbook by Joe Harris, Algebraic Geometry: a First Course,
Springer, 1992? This has lots of great material on projective spaces and Grassmannians, with an appropriate emphasis on group actions.

I haven't seen that one but I'll look it up in the library if you recommend it. The two I have been using are Miles Reid's 'Undergraduate Algebraic Geometry', and Cox, Little and O'Shea's 'Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms'. The former isn't that great but is usefull in that it follows my course quite well, the latter is superb though.

Related to What is the Definition of a Conic in Complex Projective 2 Space?

1. What are projective conic sections?

Projective conic sections refer to a type of geometric shape that can be created by intersecting a plane and a cone. Examples of projective conic sections include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. What is the significance of projective conic sections?

Projective conic sections have many practical uses in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving optics, satellite orbits, and motion in a plane. They also have applications in computer graphics and computer-aided design.

3. How are projective conic sections different from Euclidean conic sections?

Euclidean conic sections only have one set of parallel lines, while projective conic sections have two sets of parallel lines. Additionally, the shapes of projective conic sections can be distorted by perspective, while Euclidean conic sections maintain their shape regardless of perspective.

4. What are the equations for projective conic sections?

The general equation for a projective conic section is Ax^2 + By^2 + Cz^2 + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0, where A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J are constants. The specific equations for circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas can be derived from this general equation.

5. How are projective conic sections used in real-world applications?

Projective conic sections have a wide range of real-world applications, including in architecture, art, and design. For example, architects use projective conic sections to create domes and arches, while artists use them to create perspective in drawings and paintings. They are also used in satellite imaging and navigation systems, as well as in the design of lenses and mirrors for optical instruments.