What is the Journey of an Army Engineer in the Space Industry?

• Thread starter Bluebell
  • Start date
In summary, the journey of an army engineer in the space industry involves a combination of military training and specialized education in engineering and space technology. These engineers work on a wide range of projects, from designing and building spacecrafts to developing advanced technology for space exploration. They may also be involved in testing and maintaining equipment, as well as providing support for astronauts during missions. The role of an army engineer in the space industry is crucial in advancing our understanding and capabilities in space exploration and defense.
Bluebell
How did you find PF?
Google search
Found this website when googling for chemistry information. I am a retired Veteran who joined the Australian Army at age 15 as an Apprentice Electrical Mechanic/Fitter. I didn't do particularly well at Secondary School but found my feet training in electrical technology with the Army. After graduating later from Officer Cadet School and studying part-time I was awarded four years study at a civilian Institute of Technology studying Electronics Engineering to become a Professional Engineer. In the Army I worked on just about all aspects of engineering except electronics! The significant exception to this was being seconded to our Overseas Aid Agency for three years to establish an Electronics Training establishment in Thailand.

I returned to Australia to provide engineering advice in one of our commands before being posted to the UK to complete a MSc at the Royal Military College of Science. After working on missile projects for the UK Ministry of Defence I returned to Australia to manage procurement of Army missile systems. During this career I served overseas in technical postings in Malaysia, Vietnam & Thailand.

My last posting in the Australian Regular Army was Chief Instructor/Commanding Officer of the Army's School of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering. I then joined our Dep't of Defence as an engineer planning & evaluating major projects.
I transferred to our Australian Space Office to manage satellite instrument projects and investigate the re-establishment of a space-launch capability in Australia which involved studies with the Russian Space Industry on re-using ICBM's rendered surplus by the US/Russian SALT agreement to launch small satellites.

With the closure of the Space Office by our Government for economy measures I joined an international space-launch venture intending to use Russian launch vehicles (including ex-ICBM's) for launching small satellites. Unfortunately the Global Financial Crisis brought this to a halt and so I took up part-time work including lecturing on Project Management at a local University.

I am now retired and living near a great wine growing area and enjoying life. Our three children survived my travel absences and are now leading exceptional careers. I chose "Bluebell" as a nickname as that was the Army nickname for my profession.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and a warm :welcome: , Bluebell!

Sounds like an interesting life, and I hope you will enjoy us, too. You can learn as well as teach on PF. Curiosity has led me to PF, and reliability made me stay. There is much to discover! Have fun!

Bluebell said:
I chose "Bluebell" as a nickname as that was the Army nickname for my profession.
Welcome to the PF, and thank you for your service sir! (US Army brat here). Great to have you here. :smile: