What is the Maximum Mass of X0 in Electron-Proton Collisions?

In summary, the maximum mass of neutral particle X0 that can be produced in the reactione− + p → e− + p + X0is 2270 MeV, assuming that the particles are at rest after the collision and using the effective mass W as an invariant quantity.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

Electrons of energy 5.00 GeV are incident upon target protons and a search is made for neutral particles X0 produced in the reaction

e− + p → e− + p + X0

What is the maximum mass of X0 which can be produced? Use any reasonable approximations, but justify your arguments.

[Mass of electron is 0.511 MeV/c2; that of proton is 938.3 MeV/c2.]
[hint: Consider C.O.M frame]

Homework Equations

$$W^2=(∑E_i)^2-(∑p_i)^2$$
Fact that the effective mass $$W^2$$ is invarient.
also $$E=(∑m_i)^2+(∑T_i)^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

As the question asks for the maximum mass of X0 so I assumed all particles at rest after the collision occured.
So before the collision in the COM frame:
$$W=(m_e+m_p)+500GeV$$
As I assumed particles at rest after the collision then:
$$W^2=E^2-0$$
but from here I just get that $$m_{X^o}=500GeV$$ which Seems too easy... and wrong.
Could anyone just point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt atkinson said:
also $$E=(∑m_i)^2+(∑T_i)^2$$

This relation is not correct. It is only correct if you remove the squares on the right hand side, otherwise it even has the wrong dimensions.

$$W=(m_e+m_p)+500GeV$$

Where did this relation come from? I suggest you use the definition of W from your relevant equations. What is the momentum of an electron of energy 5 GeV? (It is also unclear from the question whether the 5 GeV are the total or kinetic energy of the electron.)

Orodruin said:
This relation is not correct. It is only correct if you remove the squares on the right hand side, otherwise it even has the wrong dimensions.
Where did this relation come from? I suggest you use the definition of W from your relevant equations. What is the momentum of an electron of energy 5 GeV? (It is also unclear from the question whether the 5 GeV are the total or kinetic energy of the electron.)

About the energy it just says that, I copied the question exactly.
sorry about the energy relation it was a typo.
Should be:
$$E=∑m_i+∑T_i$$ Because I did this from the COM frame in which $$∑p_i=0$$
Then my equation for W should simplify to, where I assumed 500GeV was the kinetic.
$$W=(m_e+m_p)+500GeV$$
As I see it now, there is a side note saying if the question doesn't explicitly say kinetic energy then It should be assumed to be total energy.
so that means:
$$W=m_p+500GeV$$
for
$$∑p_i=0$$
Is this correct?

How do you know the kinetic energy is 500 GeV in the CoM frame? Note that the given energy is not in the CoM frame (and it is 5 GeV rather than 500 GeV).

I find the hint slightly misleading. I would not suggest doing everything in the CoM frame.

Orodruin said:
How do you know the kinetic energy is 500 GeV in the CoM frame? Note that the given energy is not in the CoM frame (and it is 5 GeV rather than 500 GeV).

I find the hint slightly misleading. I would not suggest doing everything in the CoM frame.
Okay, that's why i was confused seemed like it could be much easier in the frame where the proton is at rest, and use conservation of energy and momentum to work the mass of the X_o.
Thanks ill have a go at doing it now and post my results.

Note: I am not saying the CoM frame is useless in the problem ... My hint would have been that invariants are nice things.

I tried this:
$$p_e^2=E^2-m_e^2$$
$$m_e=0.511MeV/c^2$$
$$p_e=4.999GeV\approx 5GeV$$
so then before
$$\Sigma p=0+5GeV$$
$$\Sigma E=5GeV+m_p$$
and after..
$$\Sigma p=0$$
$$\Sigma E=m_{X^o}+m_e+m_p$$
I just can't seem to see where I am going wrong

Some comments so far:

The electron energy is 5 GeV so the total energy before is 5 GeV + proton mass. Now the electron mass is negligible as you have seen so you will anyway not make a big error adding it in.

For your equations for after collision, you have used the CoM system so you cannot relate your before and after directly. Do you know some quantity that is frame independent?

I could use the effective mass W squared?
and work it out for both before and after?

Yes, this would be my suggestion.

okay this is what I did (b denotes before, a denotes after):
$$W_b^2=E_b^2-p_b^2=E_a^2-p_a^2$$
$$as \ W_a=W_b$$
$$W=\sqrt{(5GeV+938.3MeV)2-(5Gev)^2}=3204MeV$$
neglecting the mass of the electron as m_e << m_p;
$$W^2=(m_p+m_{X^o})^2=m_{X^o}^2+2m_{X^o}m_p+m_p^2$$
I had to use quadratic formula? and got:
$$m_{X^o}=(-(2*938.3) \pm 6404 )MeV$$
but this doesn't seem right

And what possible roots does this correspond to? Which one is physical?

There is no need for solving a quadratic formula. If W^2 = x^2 for some x and you know the sign of x, then you can simply take the root on both sides.

the + root as negative mass is not physical, I see now! thanks :D

Oh so i should just have done:
$$W=m_X+m_p$$
by square rooting both sides

Yes.
The other approach is possible but way too complicated (and your result was not right).

mfb said:
Yes.
The other approach is possible but way too complicated (and your result was not right).
Thankyou! i got:
$$m_X=2270MeV$$

Related to What is the Maximum Mass of X0 in Electron-Proton Collisions?

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. It aims to understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What is a collision in particle physics?

A collision in particle physics refers to the interaction between subatomic particles, such as protons or electrons, at high energies. These collisions can produce new particles or reveal insights into the fundamental nature of matter.

3. How are particle collisions studied?

Particle collisions are studied using large and complex instruments, called particle accelerators, which accelerate particles to high speeds and then collide them. The resulting data is collected and analyzed to understand the particles and their interactions.

4. What is the significance of studying particle collisions?

Studying particle collisions allows scientists to explore the fundamental laws of physics and gain a deeper understanding of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and nuclear energy.

5. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and why is it important?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It is important because it allows scientists to recreate the conditions of the early universe and study the particles and forces that existed at that time, helping to answer some of the biggest questions in particle physics.