What is the meaning of the dot notation in chemistry?

In summary, the "dot" in the compound 5H2O indicates that the compound is hydrated, meaning it contains water molecules in its crystalline structure. This can be found in the inorganic chemistry section of the book or by searching for "water of crystallization" on Google.
Mu naught
Sorry this is a really basic question but I'm studying for a chemistry exam which spans about 4-5 chapters and I don't have time to spend re-reading them all trying to find out one little question...

Here is an example:

[PLAIN]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/91/chemistryq.png

I don't understand what is meant by the "dot" 5H_2O. I don't know how to phrase my question so as to get an answer from google.

If someone could quickly reply and explain what's being asked it'd be a great help to me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Related to What is the meaning of the dot notation in chemistry?

1. What does the notation "x" mean?

The notation "x" typically refers to an unknown variable in an equation or formula. It can represent any number or value that satisfies the given conditions.

2. What does the notation "f(x)" mean?

The notation "f(x)" is used in mathematics to represent a function. It indicates that the output of the function is dependent on the input variable "x". For example, if f(x) = 2x + 1, then f(3) would equal 7.

3. What does the notation "∑" mean?

The notation "∑" (sigma) is used to represent a sum in mathematics. It indicates that the values within the symbol should be added together. For example, ∑x would mean the sum of all the values of x.

4. What does the notation "!" mean in mathematics?

In mathematics, the notation "!" (factorial) is used to represent the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

5. What does the notation "≈" mean?

The notation "≈" (approximately equal to) is used to indicate that two values are very close in value, but not exactly equal. It is often used in place of an equal sign when there is a small margin of error or uncertainty in the calculation or measurement.