What is the Minimum Detectable Power of a Light Flash on a Silicon Solar Cell?

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a silicon solar cell that can detect flashes of light lasting .25 seconds with a minimum detectable current of .42 μA. The question is asking for the minimum power of a flash of light at a wavelength of 550 nm that can be detected, assuming all photons give their energy to a charge carrier. The solution involves counting how many photons are needed to produce the required current for the given time, taking into account the conversion of energy to power.
Sarah88

Homework Statement

A circuit employs a silicon solar cell to detect flashes of light lasting .25 seconds. The smallest current the circuit can detect reliably is .42 [tex]\mu[/tex]A. Assuming that all photons reaching the solar cell give their energy to a charge carrier, what is the minimum power of a flash of light of wavelength 550 nm that can be detected?

Homework Equations

E= h*f
f= c/wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the energy by h*(c/wavelength) --> 6.63*10^-34 m^2 kg/s * (3*10^8 m/s)/(550*10^-9 m) = 3.62*10^-19 J. Since 1 W= 1 J/s, I took the energy and divided it by the time of .25 seconds (to get an answer of 1.45*10^-18 W). However, this answer is wrong, was I wrong in neglecting the current in the circuit? Does this end up changing the J of energy? I know P can equal I*V, or I^2*R, but I'm not sure how to incorporate power with current in this sort of problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think in terms of counting how many photons are required. The problem states (essentially) that each photon can produce a charge carrier for the current. How many charge carriers does it take to produce the required current for the required time?

Ok, that makes sense, thank you! :)

Related to What is the Minimum Detectable Power of a Light Flash on a Silicon Solar Cell?

What is minimum power?

Minimum power refers to the minimum amount of energy or work required to perform a specific task or function. In the context of physics and optics, it often refers to the minimum amount of power needed to produce a detectable signal or to generate a certain number of photons.

What is the relationship between minimum power and photons?

The relationship between minimum power and photons is that minimum power is required to produce a specific number of photons. This is because photons are the fundamental particles of light and they carry energy, so the more photons present, the higher the power. Therefore, a minimum amount of power is needed to generate a certain number of photons.

How is minimum power measured?

Minimum power is typically measured in units of watts (W) or milliwatts (mW) using specialized instruments such as power meters or photodiodes. These instruments can accurately measure the power of a light source and determine if it meets the minimum power threshold for a specific task or function.

Why is minimum power important in scientific research?

Minimum power is important in scientific research because it helps determine the sensitivity and accuracy of experiments and measurements. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and its interaction with matter. In addition, knowing the minimum power required for a specific task can help optimize experimental setups and improve the efficiency of experiments.

How can minimum power be increased?

Minimum power can be increased by using more powerful light sources or by increasing the efficiency of the light source. This can be achieved through various means such as using more efficient light-emitting materials or using specialized optics to concentrate and focus the light. Additionally, by reducing losses in the optical system, the minimum power needed to produce a certain number of photons can be decreased.